138 squadron- Halifax JN910

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by offshore, Sep 16, 2010.

1. offshore

offshore New Member

I'm looking for any informations about Halifax JN910 NF-K, 138 Squadron,which crashed in the Baltic sea near Rugenwalde,during operation Flat 12,Poland ,14-15 september 1943.
    I need informations where the plane crashed: open sea? shore?Is it true that second pilot sgt.A.S.Dove survived?If yes there must be some statement about the accident.Any other I'm a diver living in Rugenwalde.Rugenwalde is a german name,nowadays Darlowo, and I have some informations about plane on the sea bed about 10 Nm from my town. Is it possible it's this Halifax?
    I'll be very grateful for any informations

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Offshore,
    According to Bomber Command losses this plane was hit by flak after taking off at Tempsford at 1759hrs on Operation Flat 22 heading for a drop zone code named Kufer 208 to drop an Soe agent. On the homeward bound part it was hit by flak and crashed into the Baltic off Rugenwalde. Sgt A S Dove was the only survivor and was taken as a POW for the rest of the war. The rest of the crew are remembered on Runnymeade Memorial here in Surrey.
    So it is probably the Halifax that lies on the sea bed near to your town. One thing i must ask you is that please please do not disturb it as it will be classed as a wargrave, treat it with respect. If you do dive it i'm sure the other members of the forum would be hugely interested in seeing some photos if you can get some.

Regards
    Sniper