52nd Regiment Reconnaissance Corps Commando

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by night ambusher, Dec 1, 2008.

1. In Jinja Road Cemetery, Kampala, Uganda I recently photographed the CWGC grave of:

3244104 CQMS J. Mason
    52nd Regiment Reconnaissance Corps Commando
    22nd June 1943

Has anyone any information on this unit and why a member should be buried in Uganda?

Could James Mason have been involved in the Madagascar operation, perhaps as a member of 5 COMMANDO?

Harry​

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Unless he died of wounds long after I doubt he was part of Operation Ironclad as that was wrapped up in Novemebr 1942.

Try contacting:

Special Forces - Roll Of Honour

His name doesn't appear but they may have an idea

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Hi Harry and welcome ! :)

I wonder if there is some information missing from CWGC .... secondary unit text is missing ... might be worth while asking them if they have more information ..... also .... ( and I'm not sure if this means anything ..... ! ) the Royal Armoured Corps (RAC) was created in April 1939 by combining the Horse mounted Cavalry units that had mechanised, and the Royal Tank Corps (which was renamed the Royal Tank Regiment) ... the Reconnaissance Corps was absorbed into the RAC in 1944.

MASON, JAMES
    Initials - J
    Nationality - United Kingdom
    Rank - Company Quartermaster Serjeant
    Regiment/Service - Reconnaissance Corps, R.A.C.
    Unit Text - 52nd Regt.
    Secondary Regiment - Commando
    Secondary Unit Text - and
    Age - 26
    Date of Death - 22/06/1943
    Service No - 3244104
    Additional information - Son of Mr. and Mrs. William Mason, husband of Letitia Mason, of Wishaw. Lanarkshire.
    Casualty Type - Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference - British Plot. Grave 2.
    Cemetery - KAMPALA (JINJA ROAD) EUROPEAN CEMETERY

The Royal Armoured Corps (RAC) has a newspage ... maybe an email there might give you some answers or at least steer you in the right direction !!

Royal Armoured Corps News