64 years ago...

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

on June 6, 1944...

Another anniversary guys.

2. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Indeed. A significant one as well!

Lest we forget.

Owen

3. Antipodean Andy

I visited the Shrine today as well - good day to do so.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Do you realise that this is one of the reasons why I started my photo collection of RAAF graves and memorials.

A gentleman from another colonial democracy asked me in all seriousness the following question and I quote:

Cheers

Geoff

5. morse1001

morse1001 Guest

The original quote is a bloody stupid thing to say! I take it was a canadian?

6. Antipodean Andy

...11,000 RAAF aircrew rolled in their graves...if they had one...

The RAAF was just a few squadrons wasn't it?! Where's the rollseyes icon?

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think :frusty: is more appropriate than the roll-eyes

Lets see now, countries that took part in D-Day:

British
    American
    Canadian
    Australian
    New Zealanders
    South Africans
    French
    Polish
    Norwegian
    Indian (in the RN and RAF)
    Czechs (RAF)
    Belgians (ditto)
    Dutch (ditto)
    West Indies (in RAF)

.....and I have probably missed some.

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

No, but you are close!:becky:

9. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
    striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
    hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
    In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world......

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

Well posted David.

I am sure he would have had his fingers crossed when writing this piece.

The piece is well known however he knew that if they didn't get off the beaches ...........

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

I just watched a documentary on D-Day. Bombers flying over the D-Day beaches etc were numbered at 5,120. Was that the true number?

12. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

He had written a note just incase:

Our landings have failed and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone.”

He wrote July instead of June by mistake (according to the Eisenhower Archive)

Attached Files:

13. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Guest

Lest we forget all of the brave young soldiers who were killed on that day.

14. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That would have been the number od sorties, not actual bombers. Many crews flew more than one sortie on the day.

Frequently Asked Questions for D-Day and the Battle of Normandy

However, it depends upon how it was worded. The "etc" may imply the number of bombers involved in BC missions, and diversionary missions, including those dropping Window around the Pas de Calais

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

It was probably worded "supporting the D-Day landings. So I would say it was how many flew from England to France on the day/days June 6th onwards.

Does this make more sense?

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It does, though even taking into account the RAF, USAAF etc, it would still have been sorties. I shall check the details later but here the RAF missions for the 5/6 June period

The Royal Air Force operations in support of D-day

and

HyperWar: The US Army Air Forces in WWII: D-Day 1944

Apart from the pre-DDay bombings, most of the heavy bomber commitments to the beach-heads was just before the troops landed, and were an almost complete failure because the bombed too far behind the beaches. It was the fighters and fighter-bombers who provided most of the close support

17. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Lest We Forget

Not wishing to be confrontational but I think we should remember not just the soldiers, but all who fell on this anniversary. The invasion of Normandy cost many lives: soldiers, sailors, airmen, merchant seamen and civilians.
    Regards
    Hugh

18. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Paul O'Grady Show

Paul commemorated D-Day (turns out his dad took part on the assault too) with two guests. Was nice to see them.

Squadron Leader Pat Carden DFC AE - Joining the RAF in 1932, after qualifying as a pilot, he served as an instructor until 1942, when he joined 15 Squadron at Mildenhall, flying Lancasters. Volunteering for the Pathfinder Force he joined 35 Squadron at Gravely on Halifaxes, followed by 582 Squadron on Lancasters, taking part in many bombing sorties over Normandy, including two missions on D-Day. He finished the war having completed 66 operations

And Happy Birthday S/L Carden - 96 today!!

Annette Hill, AIR TRANSPORT AUXILIARY -
    Annette Hill says that her love affair with aeroplanes began in 1935 when Sir Alan Cobham arrived in her native Dublin with the famous Cobham Flying Circus. During a five-shilling joy ride the pilot let Annette briefly take the controls, and she was hooked.

In 1942 Annette left her neutral country to join the WAAF in Northern Ireland as an ambulance driver. The following year the 22 year-old applied for pilot training with the ATA. She says "We fell into bed exhausted, but it was an exhilarating time. When I graduated to the Spitfire it was a moment of pure magic mixed liberally with awe, excitement and dread."

Annette was posted to Prestwick as a Class II pilot to ferry mostly Fleet Air Arm aircraft to the Isles and the north of Scotland. She became known as "Queen of the Barracudas" - and a one-woman PR campaign for the capabilities of this high-wing torpedo/dive bomber monoplane.

From 1943 - 1945 Annette flew twelve different types of aircraft and clocked up 475 hours flying time.

Attached Files:

19. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

One code word changed history

London Free Press - Local News- One code word, two London strangers, and how they changed the war

20. foxhole 2

foxhole 2 Guest

a date that should not be forgot by anyone ,we owe our thanks too them all