7 Indian Div HQ

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by ianmccallum55, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ianmccallum55

ianmccallum55 New Member

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum and I am researching an old uncle, Signaller Arthur Jones Royal Signals, who was attached to the 7 Indian Div HQ when it was over-run on 6 Feb 1944. He is listed as killed on that date. I am trying to find out exactly what happened to him and to what appears to be a large portion of the Div signals detachment as around a half dozen signallers plus two signals officers were all killed on the same date. Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum.

On the 6th the Japanese Sakurai Force attacked the area of the 7th Divison's HQ and most of the fighting was undertaken by the admin staff. This was the prelude to the Battle of teh Admin Box.

The area of the HQ is marked by the X 7 (the HQ was in a place called Launggyaung) :

http://www.robertlyman.com/PDFfiles/map 5.pdf

You will also find most of what happened in this chapter:

Anthony Brett-James. Ball of Fire. Fifth Indian Division in the Second World War. 1951. Chapters 21-22.

Messervy was 7th Division's commander.

I hope that helps you get started

3. ianmccallum55

ianmccallum55 New Member

Kyt
    Thank you for your reply. I never expected so much detail so quickly. Your detailed reply certainly answered most of my questions. I noted the extracts were from a 5 Divisional history. Is there a history for the 7 Division. Thanks again for your help.

Ian

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Ian

I'm afraid I've yet to come across a history of the 7th. That's not to say that one doesn't exist but histories of the Indian divisons and units are very difficult to get hold of.

But Allen's Burma: The longest War is an excellent history of the Burma Campaign and has a lot on the 7th's involvement

5. ianmccallum55

ianmccallum55 New Member

Thanks again for the advice.

Ian