8 FTS Montrose

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Stan P, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Stan P

Stan P New Member

Hi all,

I hope you had a good Christmas, and are looking forward to the New Year.

Firstly I am researching my late father's life in particular his time in the RAF 1936 - 1942. I still need some more details to fill in a few gaps.

My next request for information. Can anyone give me details on 8 FTS at Montrose and the site at St Cyrus during the war. Perhaps if there is a resident radar expert they might know about them. My father was there when he met my mother in 1940.

Many thanks for all the help I have received from everyone who replied to my other posts. As a result of the many leads I have managed to accumulate more tham I had hoped for. I have posted a page to my father on my web at Stan's web site, please have a look if you are interested.

Thanks,

Stan

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Stan

this is the outline for 8 FTS from Stutivant's Flying Training & Support Units. The base was used for basic flying training. FLP means Forced Landing Practice

Attached Files:

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

5. Stan P

Stan P New Member

ROC at St Cyrus

Hi Kyt,

Thanks for the info and the links. The CHL fills in another piece of the jigsaw.

The link above is actually to the ROC site at the top of the cliffs which went up about 1960, after I joined up, so I can't remember too much about it (not one of our play areas). The CHL site was about a couple of miles south-west in the middle of a field. The site is still there to this day, rather dilapidated now though. You can still see it on multi-maps if you know where to look.

Thanks again,

Stan