9111 calls to cost caller up to US$400

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Cobber, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Californian cities charging for 911 calls
    CALIFORNIAN cities are charging residents for calling the fire service.

Residents in Loma Linda will be charged $US300 for each 911 call to the Fire Department and non-residents will be billed $US400, the station reported.

Residents also can pay a $48 annual fee and avoid any call charges.

The station reported Loma Linda city officials said they needed the fees to offset the high cost of providing emergency services.

Loma Linda was at least the third California city to recently implement fees for emergency calls.

Surley they can come up with the money in other ways, what happens if a fire breaks out and no one calls due to the cost. Any amount of lives could be lost.

2. John

John Active Member

Cobber,
    I hope our mob didn't see it or they will probally do the same thing

3. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Mate I could understand if they charged the price of a local non timed call, IE 50cents or whatever.
    $400 man thats a bit rich for a Fire Dept, like i mentioned people will just not call them and lives will be lost or almost destroyed
    Note they say you can pay $48 for a year, which is similar to the way we have ambulance/paramedic charges down here. Become a member and your family is covered nation wide for a small amount approx $120 per year and less $$ for singles,. Yet if you do not have this pre paid membership they charge hundreds or even thousands of $$ just to get you to hospital in decent shape. However regardless of whether you have prepaid or have no plans to ever pay them they will still come to you and adminster emergency aid and take you to hospital

This makes some sense but fire fighters what are going to do ignore the call if you donot tell them your name address etc.