A sneak preview

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by David Layne, Mar 13, 2009.

1. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

A sneak preview of the needlepoint my wife is doing.

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

There's a lot of work there David ! what a talented lady ! :first:

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

She is very good David. That is a rather good countred crosstitch for the Lanc, where did she get the pattern from? I've only ever seen more basic patterns.

And will need to consider my next pattern soon if I change my mind on whats next.:nono:

4. David Layne

I agree Annie my wife is very talented.

Kitty we got it from A&L Designs, 201 East Tabor Rd. Philadelphia, PA. 215 329 7321. This information taken from the pattern.

We got it many years ago and I am not sure if A&L Designs are still in operation. A google came up with this site which mentions them.

aircraft cross stitch patterns and kits

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

My wife only does needlepoint of fluffy animals.... :panda:

6. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Awesome stuff, DL. I've got a Kittyhawk and my sister is doing a 1960s Bedford for me. Will see if I can find a copy of the Lanc.

If we can't find one, would your wife be happy to photocopy the plan and details for aida cloth etc?

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

That is excellent David. Rather a coincidence as I was looking at cross-stitch aircraft a couple of days ago. But the quality and detail of the ones I saw were nowhere near as high as your one.

And before anyone starts sniggering, I see nothing wrong a man doing cross-stitch, and I would if I knew that I had the patience to actually complete it.....but I know I don't so I won't waste my money

8. Antipodean Andy

I used to do it, mate, took it up when Mum taught me and my sister. Haven't done for a while which is why my sister is doing the Bedford. She'll actually finish it. The Kittyhawk is still incomplete after quite a few years!

9. David Layne

If we can't find one, would your wife be happy to photocopy the plan and details for aida cloth etc?

I'm sure that would not be a problem.

10. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Hello David.You're wife has got skills and it looks very professinal done,maybe she can make and sell some,just a thought! Can you're wife make ship ones? Just curious.

Ps. You're hand waving is very friendly.

11. David Layne

Hello Heidi.

It would not be financially viable to cross stitch and item and sell it, too much time involved in the making process. They are purely a labour of love.

I'm sure anyone who has the skills to make a needlepoint could do whatever they wished. It's "just" a matter of following a pattern.

12. spidge

spidge Active Member

Very nice piece of work (no, not the nasty type) and really looks great. I was taught to do cross stitch by nun's in 6th grade. I finished my first and only piece and still have it.

13. Heidi

Heidi New Member

That's not a bad idea tracing! I may give that a go. Thanks.

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

not quite tracing apattern. What you get is a paper pattern that has the design on it in a grid. Each square is a cross stich to go onto the cloth/aida/linen. Each thread has its own code, which then corresponds to a symbol on the paper pattern, then you just work to the grid. Can take a long time to do especially with the higher count patterns.

Am currently nearly finished a 28 count pattern, this is 28 stitches to the square inch. Mine is now up to the beading stage, which is the last bit to do.

15. Antipodean Andy

What's the subject, Kitty?

16. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Currently nearing completion on a Miribilia lady. The below image is a phone shot, so somewhat crap, but its missing the cloud work around her feet and the beading. The beading is an issue as I don't have a frame big enough to take it right now.

DSC00418.JPG

Should eventually look something like this.

Fairy Moon.jpg

17. Antipodean Andy

Nice work, Kitty. The shawl in particular is very fine.

18. David Layne

Hello everyone,
    David's wife Becky here. Thank you for all your encouraging comments. I will tell you straight up that this project has been in the works for at least 15 years. I started it for David's father, who has since passed away and then I lost interest for awhile. I have taken it up again and am feverishly resolving to finish it for my David, hopefully before 2010 ( ha,ha).

Kitty, your lady is absolutely lovely. Best wishes on it's completion. I probably won't take on another cross-stitch for awhile after this one. But, my admiration for others that do is highly magnified.

19. Antipodean Andy

Hi Becky. I don't feel so bad now for having neglected the Kittyhawk for a while. I should dig it out and take a picture as I didn't get too far with it. It was on the hoop for a while too but the cloth didn't get marked so lucky there.

My sister does a lot of cross-stitch. I'll see if she has any pics as she does some interesting stuff including a wedding thing we have framed in our bedroom.

20. Antipodean Andy

Went looking for a pic of my Kittyhawk as I can't find it at home but got distracted...

Classic WW Two Warbirds