Ads evoking concentration camp pulled

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Perhaps it is my not knowing this slogan was used as discussed below but, looking at things in isolation, you can't really blame Esso etc for not knowing of the Nazi significance of this slogan. Indeed, it is a slogan that has been around for 2,000 years and certainly outlived the Third Reich. However, to not realise other companies had got into trouble for attempting to use the slogan in the past really lays their ignorance bare!

German ad slogan evoking Nazi camp pulled | World Breaking News | News.com.au

2. war hawk

war hawk New Member

Interesting.:boink:

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I agree about them not doing their homework .... but you know things are really starting to go over the top aren't they ??

"To Each His Own" just means that every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences and tastes ..... the fact that the Nazis used it in a derogoratory manner - doesn't take anything away from the phrase itself .... it's been used for centuries !!

I just realised .... I'll probably get into trouble now for using the phrase "over the top"

I'll get my coat !!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

4. Antipodean Andy

I use "To Each His Own" on occasion so I guess I am ignorant of history. Usually interchange it with "Whatever rubs your Buddha" which means exaclty the same thing. :lol:

5. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Or "floats your boat " ....... we could make a thread out of this .... all the different ways to say the same thing !!!!!

6. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why the Nazis used the slogan? Whilst I think it is shameful that the advertising companies were not aware that this had previously caused a problem I also agree with Annie though we shouldn't allow the bad guys to hijack phrases or symbols. Our acceptance of this just gives them more credence.

7. Antipodean Andy

Exactly right, CT.

I think they might have used it with reference to segregation, prevention of inter-racial/religious unions etc?

8. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Totally literally in other words?