Almost Unknown - Squadron Leader F.A.O. "Tony" Gaze OAM DFC**

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Sep 5, 2009.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Squadron Leader Frederick Anthony Owen Gaze (DFC**) (OAM)

Born 3 March 1920 in Melbourne Australia he was a decorated WW2 Flying Ace who flew with 610Sq, 616Sq, 64Sq, 129Sq, 66Sq, 41Sq as well as being a former racing car driver.

His war time service highlights include:

Credited with 12/5 (officially) 12+3 aerial victories (Source: C Shores & Williams) and one V-1.
    Becoming the first Allied pilot to land in France after D-Day (144 (RCAF) Wing)
    The first Australian to shoot down a Me-262 jet in combat.

His Me 262 victory also resulted in Gaze being awarded the (DFC) for the third time and as such become the only Australian during World War II to have achieved such an honour.

Becoming the first Australian jet fighter pilot flying the Gloster Meteor during the closing stages of the war.

He escaped from occupied France back to England with the help of the French Resistance after being shot down in combat by Gerhard Vogt.

He ended the war as one of Australia's greatest aces, achieving 12.5 victories & 4 probables all while flying his favourite mount the Supermarine Spitfire.

During the war he flew with and was wingman for Wing Commander Douglas Bader and Johnnie Johnson, highest allied European war ace and Paul Tibbets, pilot of the Enola Gay who dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. (when his squadron was with 336th (Pursuit) Squadron)

After the war Gaze became Australia's first official formula one driver by competing in the 1952 Belgian Grand Prix. His racing career that saw him competing in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in openwheelers and sports cars.

He participated in four World Championship Grand Prix races driving his HBM, debuting on June 22, 1952. He also participated in numerous non-Championship Formula2 races across Europe as well as competing in the Australian and New Zealand Grand Prix races in the early 1950s. Gaze is also step-grandfather to the third generation of Davison racing drivers, Alex, Will and James.

He also helped establish the Goodwood motor racing circuit in 1948 by suggesting it as a potential replacement for Brooklands to the then Duke of Richmond. Later he helped develop Australian motorsport and represented Australia
    in the 1960 World Gliding Championships in Germany. Gaze was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia in the 2006 New Year's Honours List.

He was unknown to me!

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

3. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

L to R front- Colonel Jim Stewart (retired), Group Captain Dave Pasfield, Squadron Leader Tony Gaze (RAF) Distinguished Flying Cross Double Bar, Squadron Leader Phillip Keayes and Mrs Diane Gaze. LtoR back- Squadron Leader Bruce Graham, Squadron Leader Vicky Campbell, Wing Commander John Led and Royal Air Force Ian Brain attending the 66th Commemoration of Battle of Britain Dinner enjoying the auspicious occasion.

Image Galleries 2006 - Department of Defence

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Annie,

I had seen his name before however I had not researched him as most of my time is taken up with those who died.

I have not seen an obit for him so presumably he is still alive.

Cheers

Geoff

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

He's still with us and a book came out about him recently by Stewart Wilson called, funnily enough, Almost Unknown. See my book review blog for the ad.