Anyone help?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by markski, Nov 10, 2008.

1. markski

markski Guest

Can anyone help identify this uniform. Its's my grandfather, I know that he was eastern european (polish, slavic) stationed in Whitburn west lothian Scotland area during WW2. Thanks for any feedback or help.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The badge is very unclear but it could be Pioneer Corps. Have you applied for his records? There was a army training camp there and Kirknewton POW camp about 5 miles to the west.

3. markski

markski Guest

Thanks Kyt,

I have tried to find out his whole name, but MOD are unclear as to who he is. They have given me three possible names. I have no idea of the cap badge either, tried looking for it online but have had no luck in tracing any that look close to the style. As far as I can see it looks like a two headed eagle in a laurel wreath????
    All the info on him was lost when my gran died and most of the remaining family I have don't know his real name or unit. I thought maybe finding out his uniform may help narrow down his unit. The best I know (from family) is that he was stationed at a POW camp at Whitburn west lothian, but no records of a camp there.
    Thanks for trying anyway.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The closest POW camp was at Dalmahoy Camp (Camp 123) at Kirknewton, which was about 5 miles west of Whitburn and so there is every chance that he was billeted at the Whitburn army camp.

Your best bet is to try to track down any records for the POW camp, and its garrison to see if any of the names/units provided by the MoD tallies.

If he was Polish (ie a Polish escapee who joined the British forces) then it is worth contacting the Sikorski Institute. They are very helpful and do try to assist in tracking down Poles who fought with the allies:

The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum, 20 Princes Gate, London SW7 1PT

At the very least they may know of any Polish units who were based at Whitburn