Australia outlines military plans

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, May 1, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

What do you think of this ?:eek:hwell:

Australia is to announce about $73bn (£49bn) in defence spending aimed at equipping its military for the next two decades.
    Key purchases include 100 fighter jets and 12 new submarines, replacing the current fleet of six.
    Eight frigates and 24 combat helicopters are also on the list, in the country's first defence white paper for 10 years.
    Prime Minister Kevin Rudd denied that the spending was a response to China.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Australia outlines military plans

2. John

John Active Member

I,as an Aussie agree with what Prime Minister Rudd wants to do with our defence forces. What worries me is that we can't use all the subs we already have because of lack of navy staff so how will we man 12 of them. Maybe it is time to bring back National Service for our younger people.
    John :ballchain:

3. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I can imagine the uproar from the current generation if they tried to bring in NS again.
    Also with NS you have to move Regs around everwhere so they can train the NS people.
    This messes up the training and capabilitys to deploy Regs.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

The new choppers are to replace the current Blackhawks. I agree with the sub manning issue - we can't crew six now. I'd say the salary packages need to be more attractive so the armed forces are a reasonable alternative for long-term careers.

The new frigates will eventually replace the ANZACs and would be good support for the new destroyers and amphibs. Have to replace our legendary P-3 Orions too.

5. John

John Active Member

I agree with Andy that the pay for our service people need to be upgraded to encourage people to join. Cobber, it worries me that there is NOT enough regular soldiers to do training. I remember a couple of years ago that there was a panic because they didn't have enough troops to relieve other troops in combat zones which was a worry. I don't know if this problem has been fixed yet.

6. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I may be mistaken in calculations however all the reports i have seen in this issue say the expenditure will be more like 300 Billion little Aussie Battlers ($AU) over next decade which probably includes the current 20 odd billion a year spent on our forces.

I hope we get a serious missile defence system based on the main land. and not just updated missiles on our new and old ships. I feel the Sub issue will be fixed by the time they are built, for a start out of 12 boats, only 6 to 9 will be in use at one time. I wonder who they will call the class after. And as long as as much of it is built in Australia it will be good for the country on many levels.

Australia really needs the capability to supply all forces, and to operate independently in our own matters, we have to be able to defend our selves from all most all threats. That means much more money IMHO should be spent try a Trillion dollars over 15 years, man that would be good for the ADF.

7. John

John Active Member

Cobber, I agree with you 100%. I think I read somewhere that the service men & women food is now supplied by outside contracters. Do you know if this is true ??:behindsofa: