Australian Army Rifles

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by John, Jul 22, 2010.

1. John

John Active Member

Could someone please tell me if our soldiers still use the SLR or are they using a new rifle ???
    John :behindsofa:

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

3. John

John Active Member

Thanks Geoff, I thought that was the case, but then I saw the gaurd of honor soldiers at one of the buriels with the SLR. The new rifle looks funny where the magazine is placed.
    John

4. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Yeah the ceremonial Guard units use the L1A1 SLR with a silver magazine while the infantry use the Australian built version of the Steyr as Spidge said the SLR went out of use at start of the 1990's, It must be getting close to the time for a new weapons to start been evaluated for replacement of the AuSteyr i know about 5 or 8 years ago they started updating the current Steyr models however that program stopped after some reported good experiences. I like the Bull Pup design but allways will have the soft spot for a rifle that looks like a rifle like the H&K 416/417's for a relatively modern example. and of course the ever young M4. However it looks from myriads of reports posted on many News Wires, the future may see the return of the 7.62mm NATO round for Genreal Issue weapons.