Australian Brigadier Thompson

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Steen Ammentorp, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Could anybody provide me with the full name of Brigadier L.F. Thompson, the CRA of 9th Australian Division in 1941?

Thank you in advance

2. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I did a search through the Australian War Memorial roll of all the
    Thompson,
    Tomson
    Tompson
    names on the nominal Roll I went through all persons with the above names, and none were Brigadiers their were two Lt Cols,. with the name Tompson and one Major with Tomson. It is possible that his Substantive rank was less than the rank he wore, as this happened a lot during the war. However no mentioned the 9th Division on these particular soldiers papers.
    This Nominal roll holds the names of close to if not all the known Australian Soldiers, Airmen and Sailors of WW2
    , (It also covers all other wars and has a roll of honour for the dead as well)
    if he was a Aussie who was serving with another nation his name would not appear on this roll but on the one for the nation served.

3. Thanks Copper,

I should have mentioned that I have checked with AWM as well as with the World War Two Nominal Roll with out any luck. Btw. during my research I have found several officers missing in both.

The AWM does have several photos of him such as:
    [​IMG]

AWM Collection Record: 020360 - TOBRUK, LIBYA. 1941-08. BRIGADIER L.F. THOMPSON COMMANDING ROYAL ARTILLERY AND STAFF AT HIS HQ. FROM THE LEFT:- LIEUTENANT J.H.T. COMBER, CAPTAIN WYLDEBORE-SMITH, MAJOR J.C. SMITH, CAPTAIN B.A.M. ...

However I have been unable to find his full name.

4. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

Brig. R.a. Thompson, commander royal artillery tobruk

Hi there - By CRA I assume you mean COMMANDER ROYAL ARTILLERY. This photo is on the AWM photosearch -

TOBRUK. GROUP OF SENIOR 9TH DIVISION OFFICERS WHO HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEFENCE OF TOBRUK. LEFT TO RIGHT: BRIGADIER (BRIG.) SLATER, ANTI AIRCRAFT UNIT, COLONEL R.C. KELLER; BRIG. G.F. WOOTTEN DSO, 18TH INFANTRY BRIGADE; BRIG. A. H. L. GODFREY DSO MC, 24TH BRIGADE;

SEATED IN FRONT: BRIG. R.A. THOMPSON, COMMANDER ROYAL ARTILLERY TOBRUK; BRIG. RAYMOND W. TOVELL DSO ED, 26TH BRIGADE; MAJ. GEN. LESLIE J. MORSHEAD CMC CBE DSO; BRIG. J. J. MURRAY DSO MC VD, 20TH BRIGADE.

(I kept looking for more photos using TOBRUK THOMPSON and I have just found - LESLIE FRANK THOMPSON - as stated earlier, he isn't on the Aussie nominal roll for WW2. Being the CRA he is probably British army attached to the division.

More info on awards -

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD.
    St. James's Palace, S.W.I.
    30th December, 1941.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following promotions in, and appointments to, the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, in recognition of distinguished services in the Middle East (including Egypt, East Africa, The Western Desert, The Sudan, Greece, Crete, Syria and Tobruk) during 'the period February, 1941 to July, 1941: —

To be Additional Commanders of the Military Division of the said Most Excellent Order: —

Brigadier (temporary) Leslie Frank Thompson, M.C. (8501), Royal Regiment of Artillery.

5. Cobber

Cobber New Member

My uncle he was a Regular Arty WO1 at war out break, who was promoted during the war to LT Col and after war was given the rank of a Brigadier. However he is only mentioned as a Major on AWM site. He had retired in 1962 his substantive rank as a Major was his rank on retirement. Anyway he was in Tobruk with the Arty then became a liaison officer with a Brit Yeomanry Regt.
    Your photo caption says Thompson was CO Royal Arty in Tobruk shouldn't he be a Brit. As 9 Div really had none of their own Arty all arty Units were attached to the Tobruk fortress under 9th Div HQ. 9th AIF Div when in Tobruk only had some AA and A/T units. This is due to the fact that 9th AIF Div was not at full strength with supporting arms and even Inft when in Tobruk.
    I also cannot see any Australia shoulder badges on these officers, I suppose you have been through all this before. Good luck

Yep some will always be missed in such rolls, Hopefully one day they will have everyone who served on their lists.
    Whoops a daisy you two guys got their before me.
    Cheers
    Your Cobber
    Lawrence

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Leslie Frank!

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

Should have refreshed before I posted.[​IMG]