Australian General Stantke

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Steen Ammentorp, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Wondering whether any body can help me solve a bit of a mystery?

I am seeking the date of death for Australian Major-General (Temp. Lieutenant-General) Victor Paul Hildebrand Stantke, born August 15, 1886.

Now searching the net you find several references to him including a bibliographical post in the OPAC of the National Library of Australia. It gives Stantke’s year of death as 1967 in the subject heading. The same year of death is giving on the website of the Planning & Land Authority of Australian Capital Territory dealing with a place named after the general.

Consensus here about 1967

However at the same time I found this reference:

From the: Victoria Government Gazette, Wednesday, December 13, 1972.

I find it a bit strange to appoint a dead person.

So can anybody clarify Stantke’s date of death? I suspect it to be in 1967. But would like to know for sure.

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Steen,

Great to hear from you and glad I can be of assistance as I live in Victoria where he died. I have just spent $0.99 cents on my credit card to get you this info however I think I owe you a lot more!:p

These are the details and your consensus is correct. They may have transposed names and omitted to delete him from the paperwork.

Receipt Number:
    Please record this number for future reference.
    Spending Limit:
    $

Amount Spent Viewing:
    $

Image Prices:

Births: $ 17.50

Deaths: $ 17.50

Marriages: $ 17.50
    Certificate Prices:

Births: $ 26.60

Deaths: $ 26.60

Marriages: $ 26.60
    Page 1 of 1

Buy Image
    Buy Cert
    Surname STANTKE
    Given Name(s) Victor Paul Hild
    Event Death
    Sps Snm / Father Gustav Paul
    Sps Gvn / Mother HILDEBRAND - Margarete
    Year 1967
    Reg. No 11361

Cheers

Geoff

3. Geoff,

Thank you so very much - I real appreciate it. If you have a Paypal account I can easily refund you the amount.

Glad to have that mystery solved.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Steen,

Glad to be of help. The money is of no consequence. You have provided me with a great deal of information over the years and if it cost more I would have paid it gladly.

Great to see you are still enlarging your project.

Please contact me again if I can be of further assistance with anything else.

Cheers

Geoff