Belsen

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Keith, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

I may have missed something but I can see no reference to possibly the most notorious of the camps " Belsen "
    During my stint in the T.A. as a member of the R.A.M.C. I had the privilege, if that is the right word, of being stationed in the German Barracks in Hohne which were renamed The Glynn Hughes Barracks after the British SMO, Brig. Glynn Hughes who did so much to save life and relieve the suffering of the inmates.
    We walked through the camp, saw the very many massed graves holding in each many thousands of dead prisoners, we visited the many exhibitions of haunting photographs of the evidence which confronted the troops.
    A very daunting, sobering experience.
    I can vouch for the fact that you can walk round the camp, which is very large, through the mounds of graves and through the wooded areas which shield the camps perimiter, and never hear the sound of a bird.
    Try
    Bergen-Belsen Exchange Camp and Concentration Camp

Keith

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Even the word "Belsen " strikes a note of horror in your heart ...... I remember growing up - hearing the most terrible stories and not wanting to believe them !! ... I just can't imagine how you felt Keith .... I think it's something that has to be seen yourself !

The camp was liberated on April 15 1945 by the British 11th Armoured Division .... 60,000 prisoners were found inside, most of them seriously ill, and another 13,000 corpses lay around the camp unburied. The scenes that greeted British troops were described by the BBC's Richard Dimbleby who accompanied them -

Richard Dimbleby

Bergen-Belsen

Irma Grese Beast of Auschwitz ended the war at the Bergen Belsen Death Camp, captured by British soldiers on April 17, 1945.

Irma Grese Beast of Auschwitz: The most notorious SS guard in the history of Auschwitz

EDIT ... Keith ... if you do a search for Belsen ... you'll find quite a bit !!

3. John

John Active Member

4. liverpool annie

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Annie,

I would like to say that my visit was something like 20 years after the liberation of the camp.

The atmosphere still hung around of hopeless misery and grief, no visitor could fail to be touched.

There is, and probably will be for a long time, a complete silence that envelopes you when you enter and walk round.

No chatter, in fact no voices whatsoever, no one has the heart to pass any comments and as I have said no birds visit the area.

I am saddened, yet grateful that I can still feel as I feel even after forty years,

Keith.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

One of the most moving books I have read about the camps is actually about the liberation of Belsen and the stories of the British personnel who worked at trying to save as many lives as possible - a task that had a profound affect on everyone who experienced the camp. The book is called After Daybreak: The Liberation of Belsen, 1945 by Ben Shephard

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

8. liverpool annie

Heres a site that maybe of interest Keith !

Bergen Belsen

Annie

9. Keith

Keith New Member

Bergen-Belsen

Hi Annie,

A long time between posts, but I found this amongst my army snaps,
    Thought it may be of interest, shows me during my visit to Belsen, paying my respects at one of the main memorials.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

10. 51highland

51highland Member

Some video of my visit to Belsen in May this year. I have added sound track (Hartikva) and a BBC recording made a few days after liberation. Earlier post said they never heard a bird singing, well there were plenty of birds singing this day plus the sound of 3 cuckoos.
    [​IMG]