British Army Equipment

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Keith, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

How it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " The Anodised Age "

Cheers
    Keith DIIIL
    Ps. Next subject personal weapons.

2. John

John Active Member

Thanks Keith for showing army badges. I enjoyed seeing them

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi John,

Glad you liked them !

Rather than add these to the first lot, posting them here in case you miss them.

Cheers
    Keith. DIIL

4. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Great posts Keith, the days when anodised badges were worn into combat and everywhere else.
    I don't have much knowledge of British kit, though would expect it to be similar to what our boys had especially in the deserts, Holy lands and Greece etc, though i would expect that some would of been changed for the rumble in the jungle with our Imperial Japanese enemie's.

5. Cobber

Cobber New Member

I don't know a lot about these weapons so i have stolen the Wiki page and pasted it here.

It becomes a list of secondary and Special issue British World War 2 weapons

De Lisle carbine
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from DeLisle carbine)
    Jump to: navigation, search
    De Lisle Commando Carbine

Folding stock version
    Type Carbine
    Place of origin United Kingdom
    Service history
    In service 1943-1965
    Used by See users
    Wars World War II, Korean War

Production history
    Designer William G. De Lisle
    Designed 1942
    Manufacturer Ford Dagenham (17 prototypes)
    Sterling Armaments Company
    Produced 1942-1945
    Number built 129
    Variants Ford Dagenham Prototypes
    Folding stock Parachute Carbine, only one example produced

Specifications
    Weight 8 lb 8.5 oz (3.74 kg), unloaded[citation needed]
    Length 40.5 in (894 mm)[citation needed]
    Barrel length 8.27 in (210 mm)[citation needed]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartridge .45 ACP
    Calibre .45
    Action Bolt action
    Rate of fire 20-30 rounds/minute
    Muzzle velocity about 850 ft/s (260 m/s)
    Effective range 200 yd (185 m)
    Maximum range 400 yd (365 m)
    Feed system 7 or 11-round detachable magazine
    Sights Ford Dagenham - Winchester rifle sight at rear, simple ramp with modified P-14 front sight protector at front.
    Sterling models - Lanchester Mk I rear sight (later changed to Lanchester Mk I*), windage adjustable front sight.
    Airborne model - Lanchester Mk I rear sight, windage adjustable front.

The De Lisle carbine or De Lisle Commando carbine was a British carbine used during World War II. The primary feature of the De Lisle was its very effective suppressor which made it extremely quiet in action.

Few were made as their use was limited to special military units.

Contents [hide]
    1 Description
    2 Users
    3 See also
    4 Notes
    5 References
    6 External links

[edit] Description

The initial wooden-stocked De Lisle with a fitted suppressor.

The designer was William De Lisle. It was based on a Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield Mk III* converted to .45 ACP by modifying the receiver, altering the bolt/bolthead, replacing the barrel with a modified Thompson submachine gun barrel, and using modified magazines from the M1911 pistol. The primary feature of the De Lisle was its extremely effective suppressor, which made it very quiet in action - indeed working the bolt to chamber the next round makes a louder noise than firing a round.[1] The De Lisle carbine was used by the British Commandos and other special forces; it was accurate to 250 metres (820 ft).

The De Lisle was made in very limited numbers; 129 were produced during the period of 1942 to 1945 in three variations (Ford Dagenham Prototype, Sterling production and one Airborne prototype). Thompson submachine gun barrels were modified to provide the .45 calibre barrel, which was ported to provide a slow release of high pressure gas.

The suppressor, 2 inches (5.1 cm) in diameter, went all the way from the back of the barrel to well beyond the muzzle (the suppressor makes up half the overall length of the rifle), providing a very large volume of space to contain the gases produced by firing. This large volume was one of the keys to the effectiveness of the suppressor. The Lee-Enfield bolt was modified to feed the .45 ACP rounds, and the Lee-Enfield's magazine assembly was replaced with a new assembly that held a modified M1911 magazine. Because the cartridge was subsonic, the carbine was extremely quiet, possibly one of the quietest guns ever made.

The De Lisle was used by special military units during World War II and the Malayan Emergency.

Users
    Commonwealth of Nations
    United Kingdom

6. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Lanchester submachine gun

(Redirected from Lanchester SMG)

Type Submachine gun
    Service history
    In service 1941–1960
    Used by United Kingdom
    Wars World War II
    Production history
    Manufacturer Sterling Armaments Company
    Produced 1941–
    Variants Mk I, Mk I*
    Specifications
    Weight 9.57 lb, 4.34 kg
    Length 33.5 in, 851 mm
    Barrel length 8 inches, 203 mm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartridge 9x19mm Parabellum
    Action Blowback, Open bolt
    Rate of fire 600 round/min
    Muzzle velocity 1,245 ft/s, 380 m/s
    Effective range 150m
    Feed system 32 or 50 round detachable box magazine
    The Lanchester was a submachine gun used by the British Royal Navy during World War II.

History
    In 1940, with the Dunkirk evacuation completed, the Royal Air Force decided to adopt some form of submachine gun for airfield defence. With no time to spare for the development of a new weapon it was decided to adopt a direct copy of the German MP 28, captured examples of which were at hand for examination. The British Admiralty decided to join with the RAF in adopting the new weapon, and played a key role in its design. Ultimately, the Admiralty alone actually adopted the Lanchester into service.

The British MP28 copy was given the general designation of Lanchester after George Lanchester who was charged with producing the weapon at the Sterling Armaments Company, the same company that went on to produce the Sterling submachine gun that is presently the standard submachine gun of many nations.

The Lanchester was envisioned as a weapon that could be used for guarding prisoners and accompanying naval landing and assault parties. It was a very solid, well-made sub-machine gun of high quality materials, in many ways the complete opposite of its direct contemporary, the Sten. The Lanchester had a heavy wooden butt and stock, a machined steel action and breech block, and a magazine housing made from a favourite naval construction material, solid brass. A few details typical for the era were added, such as a mounting on the muzzle for use of a long bladed British bayonet. The rifling differed from the German original in details to accommodate various lots of 9 mm ammunition then being acquired for service use. The Lanchester also used furniture from the Lee-Enfield SMLE.

Operation
    The magazine for the Lanchester was straight and carried a useful, if quite heavy capacity of 50 9 mm cartridges. It was interchangeable with the shorter (32rd) magazine of the Sten gun. Stripping of cartridges into the magazine was aided by a catch on the top of the receiver. The very first model, the Lanchester Mk I, could fire either single shot or automatic. On the Lanchester Mk I* this was changed to full automatic fire only, and many Mk Is were converted to Mk I* standard at Royal Navy workshops.

] Service
    The Lanchester gave good service to the Royal Navy throughout the war and for some years after. The Lanchester was far heavier than the Sten and had a similar tendency to accidentally discharge if the gun was dropped or knocked on a hard object while cocked and loaded. The last examples left Royal Naval service in the 1970s and are now collector's items.

7. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Welrod
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Welrod

A Welrod 9mm pistol (below a suppressed Sten gun) on display at the Imperial War Museum in London.
    Type bolt action suppressed pistol
    The Welrod was a British bolt action, magazine fed, suppressed pistol devised during World War II at the Inter-Services Research Bureau (later Station IX), based near Welwyn Garden City, UK, for use by irregular forces and resistance groups. Approximately 2,800 were made.

History
    It was used primarily by the British SOE but was also used by the American OSS. The Welrod, also known as the "Assassin's Pistol", was extremely quiet for a gun, producing a sound of around 73dB when fired.[1] Examples were made in 9 mm Para and .32 ACP, with magazine of five and six rounds respectively. The Welrod took the form of a 1.25 inch diameter cylinder about 12 inches long.[2] The rear of the cylinder contained the bolt, the middle the ported barrel and expansion chamber of the suppressor, and the front the baffles and wipes of the suppressor. There was a knurled knob at the rear that served as the bolt handle, and the magazine was also the grip. Removing the magazine/grip made the weapon easier to conceal.

The Welrod was provided with sights marked with fluorescent paint for use in low light conditions. Although it had a maximum range of 23 meters, it was intended for use far closer—up to point blank. The muzzle end of the gun was cut away so that it could be fired in direct contact with the target. This would reduce the sound levels even further, and removed the chance of missing.

The ported barrel of the Welrod served two purposes; it released the powder gases gradually into the rear of the suppressor, reducing the sound of firing, and it reduced the velocity of the bullet to subsonic speeds (especially important in the 9mm version since the standard 9mm loading is supersonic). The baffles and wipes that follow the barrel serve to further slow the gases of firing, releasing them over a long period of time and avoiding the sharp explosion that occurs when high pressure powder gases are suddenly released to the atmosphere.

The Welrod used a bolt-action design because it was simple, reliable, and quiet. The bolt-action has only the noise of the firing pin hitting the primer, and the bolt can be cycled quietly.

The Welrod was a "sanitized" weapon, meaning that it had no markings indicating its manufacturer or country of origin; all it was marked with was a serial number and some inscrutable symbols and letters. The Birmingham Small Arms Company confirmed that they manufactured some Welrod pistols, but that they put no markings at all on them, so any markings were likely added by the British military after delivery.

The Welrod was widely used in Denmark during World War II, and is reported to have been used during the Falklands War of 1982.

The name Welrod comes from the custom that all the clandestine equipment devised at Station IX in Welwyn had names starting with Wel, e.g, Welbike, Welman. A document was produced towards the end of World War II to ensure that the right persons were properly credited for their inventions at Station IX. This document reveals that the inventor of the Welrod was Major Hugh Reeves who was also responsible for the Sleevegun and several other important inventions.[3]

8. Keith

Keith New Member

British Army

Hi Cobber,
    THE THING crashed but now back in business,
    These will bring back a few memories.
    Cheers
    KeithDIL

9. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Cobber,
    A few more

Cheers
    Keith DL

10. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi All,
    A few more weapon pictures.

Just let mr know when I am starting to bore.
    Cheers
    Keith

11. Keith

Keith New Member

British Army Equipmeny

Contiuing from last entry

Cheers
    Keith

12. Keith

Keith New Member

Hope you are still with me

Cheers
    Keith DLIII

13. Keith

Keith New Member

The last of the personal weapons, can follow with Vehicles, Artillery then Tanks, pictures and 3 view drawings, if there is any intrerest.

Cheers
    Keith DLIV

14. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Good posts Keith keep em coming mate.
    The L1A1 SLR semi auto with the Auto Rifle 30 Rd mag, brings back the stories of SASR chappies in
    Sth Viet Nam. Apparently many members used the 30 rd mag and turned their issued SLR Semi's into Auto Rifles by playing with a pin or two and adding a foreign object. Large uplift of barrel when blasting at enemy apparently. It must of worked reasonably well as numerous men in all SASR Sqdns used this contraption will seek out a pic with info I've got on file somewhere.

15. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Cobber,

Glad you liked the pics, takes a bit of time to scan, then adjust colour,size etc. for posting.
    Keeping to my source, the next posts will be God's finest, the Artillery, followed by tanks then vehicles and anything else I find on the way.
    Just as a matter of interest, I personally have fires most weapons from .22 to an Honest John, but the 25pdr is still my favourite.

Cheers
    Keith DLV

16. Keith

Keith New Member

B,a,e,

Starting on the heavier kit !!!

Cheers
    Keith DLVII

17. Keith

Keith New Member

B.a.e.

Some more of the bigger gear.