British tanks

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by CaptSherman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CaptSherman

CaptSherman New Member

Which was the best tank the British had during WWII?

2. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

The last tank the British put into service in the conflict. The Comet It had the reliability of the Cromwell, the firepower of the Sherman Firefly, and decent armour for a medium tank.
    800px-Comet_tank_1.jpg

3. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Since the British had some best and effective tanks during War 2,in their regiment,I think its difficult to say a particular one.In different period Matilda II and Churchill VII had great serve before Comet.[was they British-Commonwealth made?]
    [​IMG]
    [www.ww2f.com]

I know that you never mind to mention these great machines,since you are an expert.

[​IMG]

Rear view of Comet : 2nd RTR/11th Armoured Dv. advancing towards Lubek -May'45

4. aghart

aghart Former Tank Commander Moderator

For tanks in the early years of the war then the Matilda II is a real contender, superb armour, decent gun, but very slow. It was in 1939/40 a very good tank. It could not accept a bigger turret and thus a more poweful main gun which resulted in it being outclassed from 1942 onwards.

300px-MatildaII.jpg

5. Diptangshu

Diptangshu Active Member

Earlier as you were telling about Comet[A34/1944], obviously it was one of the most operational cruise tanks for those days. Specially during operation Market Garden[Sep'44],precisely to say ,crossing Rhine[Arnhem],where time was a decisive factor,Comet stood best infantry support.

March '45,Comet crossed Rhine at Wesel and pushed into Germany.

11th Armored Dvn. used Comet in Baltic region .I also know that it served in Korea too.

Many Vets fascinated with its cruising ability,maneuverability etc but I really love its then firing ability with BESA Mk II-h/l secondary[2 x 7.92mm] machine guns,ie.,450/750 rpm,by slight bolt adjustment during recoil.

[​IMG]

Not negligible ... eh ..