Campaign launched to bring home medals

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Campaign launched to bring home war medals - Brantford Expositor - Ontario, CA

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

This makes me angry !!

Who put them up for sale in the first place I wonder ??

grrrrrrr !!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Ah Annie, welcome to my world. I always get angy at the sale of medals, and have said so on a number of other threads.

4. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Me too !!

Breaks my heart to think what these men have done to earn these medals and then for them to be sold for the almighty dollar !!

Don't get me started !!

5. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Should be illegal to sell them. No doubt there's all sorts of alternative views but it would sort things out!

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I believe it is in the United States

7. Nightbreak

Nightbreak Guest

Trouble is, nearly all of them are British Commonwealth issued, so even if Canada did ban the sale of them (and there have been private member's bills by Nova Scotia MP Peter Stouffer) it wouldn't have any effect on the UK or other countries. Consecutive governments in Canada have also said that medals are private property and they won't be legislating such items.

I've seen it happen over and over. It's families or estates who sell the medals, because their options are either 'handing them down' (what happens when the line runs out?), donating them to a museum (tax receipt, good only for 29% on your taxes), or selling them for a few hundred dollars or more (ability to send the kids to college, new roof ... whatnot).

I know this because I do what Dave "Any Medal off Ebay" Thomson does, only my methods & means differ from his, even though our goals are precisely the same. And there's always room for more people to pitch in and help. It costs, but it's worth it.

If we had had more people to help with the Simmons medals last November, we might have brought them home to Esquimalt rather than have them sold to a British collector, just because the auction house ran out of patience with the raising of funds. x.x That one still stings.