Can you help record history? Volunteers needed!

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by mathsmal, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mathsmal

mathsmal New Member

The Second World War Experience Centre is looking for volunteers who can help record the stories of veterans and civilians who lived through the Second World War. The Centre holds a large collection of oral history recordings and also has diaries, unpublished memoirs, photographs and documents relating to the war. It is a registered charity, and is based near Leeds in UK. There are volunteer recorders across the UK, but more are needed, and some areas have no recorders at all (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, the North East and East Anglia).

I've been a volunteer for the Centre for 3 years myself, and have been lucky enough to interview over 160 people. They have ranged from a member of an X-Craft crew; a Parachute regiment D Day veteran; one of the most successful air gunners of Bomber Command; a Merchant navy chap who was torpedoed and spent 9 days adrift in the Atlantic; numerous evacuees and civilians who experienced the Blitz in London, Plymouth, Swansea, Southampton and Exeter; two Dunkirk veterans; a FEPOW who worked on the Death Railway; an RAF pilot who helped to supply the Chindits; and a member of the Chindits who received those supplies. There are many many more, and I'm really honoured to have been able to ensure these stories will not be lost. Sadly, a number of the interviewees have passed away since I met them, so the urgency to record people is increasing on a daily basis.

If you think that you can spare a few hours a month (or more!) to speak to some very interesting people and record their stories, PM me for more info or contact the Centre directly via The Second World War Experience Centre website. All volunteers will have a training session and will be given guidance by the Centre.
    I've received the ok to post this on behalf of the Centre.

Cheers
    Matt

P.S. Apologies if you've seen this post on other forums! I'm posting on all the forums I am on.

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Nice work, Matt.