Confused Now Help Required

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by zak14, Jun 11, 2009.

1. zak14

zak14 New Member

Hello,
    I have no military service or experience of military records and need a little help.

I Posted a Thread in the Begginers Section under General Called "Highland Light Infantry 52nd Lowland Division" in which I asked about there war activites as we always believed my late Father served with them for all of his active service. Someone kindly gave me the e mail address for the Regimental Museum and when I gave them my Fathers service number they told me they had brief records of him as a transfer from the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry (we know he was in this regiment for a short while) but not until 1946 !.

Dad never liked to talk about the war so we never pushed him, but what we know supports hime being in the HLI 52nd Lowland Division, including him saying he landed at Ostend a few days after D Day. (we believe parts of the HLI did land in Ostend 10 days after D Day)

Does anyone have any ideas why the records so far do not tie up?

Thanks

John

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi John

can you give us his service number - that will indicate which unit he first joined.

Sorry, in your earlier post you did not mention that he had said that he landed a few days after D-Day at Ostend. That wouldn't have been possible as Ostend was not linerated until September 1944, a week after Allied troops first entered Belguim.

For the first weeks almost all troops landing on the Continent we doing so from Normandy - 5th Battalion landed in Normandy as part of 43rd (Wessex) Division

3. zak14

zak14 New Member

Thanks for trying to help,
    His Service Number was 1509431 however he was in the Royal Artillery initialy down Dover way so this may confuse things.

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Afraid it doesn't help because, as you say, it is a RA number.

I'm afraid it will depend upon what the Service Records say, as to where, when and with him he was with

5. zak14

zak14 New Member

Thanks for your help anyway, I will send for his records.