Donald Beausire BARNARD

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Attached Files:

2. Duncan Richardson

Duncan Richardson New Member

In Barnard's defence

I refer to a paragraph in the extract from Mr Oliver Clutton-Brock's book "The Evaders:" posted above where it is written that Donald Barnard "lost control of himself and, in a yelling frenzy, threatened to kill Smith for no apparent reason" Smith being an American flying officer who had joined up with Barnard and others in the trek from France to Spain.

I have discussed this with Donald's relatives and they remember him as a reasonable man, with a strong sense of duty, but one who would stand by his convictions. He never had an ungovernable temper, very unlike the man described in the book.

Apparently that aspect of the story may have originated elsewhere. His nephew has been in touch with Mr Philip Caine, a distinguished Amercan author, who advised that his source, from whom he quoted in an earlier book "Aircraft Down", was Smith himself a very honourable well liked man who retired from the US Airforce as a Colonel.

Squadron Leader Donald Barnard D.F.C. was an outstanding pilot and it is unfortunate that the experience of one man as reported should distort his reputation. Clearly here were two men from countries far apart forced together in extremely trying circumstances. Americans in Britain for many reasons were not always beloved for their efforts and no possibly here was an example of two cultures in conflict. They had become friends yet something Smith said or did may have agravated Barnard and he spoke his mind. That he would become uncontrollable and seriously threaten to kill is firmly disputed.

Donald Barnard is no longer with us. He cannot defend himself and we will never hear his side of the story. Given all that is known about him otherwise this one sided account is open for reasonable doubt to prevail.

Donald Barnard returned to active duty and continued flying even after the end of the war with Japan. On the 17th of January 1946 while serving in the far East he was Court Martialled and dismissed for making two unauthorised flights. Here is an extract of a letter from an officer who knew him then.
    "S/L Barnard having had a few drinks decided to fly to Bangkok, only one other crew member went with him. I was a young F/O at that time doing duty at our flying control tower. This was just a watching brief because there was no flying at all. I was alerted to see a Dakota about to take off. I called up on our radio, there was no reply. S/L Barnard took off.
    He in fact flew to collect prisoners of war who were stranded and awaiting collection. He was frustrated with the lack of action in collecting them."

Had this been done while the war was still being waged Donald Barnard would have been given a medal but by 1946 attitudes had changed.