Excuse me, but...

Discussion in 'Barracks' started by Kitty, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I really have got to gloat while I can.

TEAM GB ARE 3RD IN THE OLYMPIC TABLES! HIGHER THAN AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. :becky:

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Not bad for a country that has three times as many people :lol:

Amazing what happens when you finally pour money into your sports programmes so as not to be embarrassed when you host the Olympics...

Seriously though, am very impressed by the British cycling team. Very powerful.

From an Australian point of view, I think we're pegging along okay. The men didn't win gold in the pool for the first time in 30 years but most of them got personal best times etc which is them doing their best and we can't ask more than that! Very proud.

3. John

John Active Member

Kitty, all I can say is :hurt:

4. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Well done to all of them (medal tally or no), I applaud the efforts of the athletes and their suport crews but think there has been a high price for these medals. Lots of everyday sporting facilities have been starved of cash to fund some very questionable "sports".

I also can't bear to think of how this government will try to cash in on the success! Heaven knows what 2012 will bring!

5. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

At the London Olympics in 1948 we won one gold!

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I don't care. Am so proud of our boys and girls. Doing their best and winning medals, no matter what colour. :D

8. Antipodean Andy

Just doing their best is good enough.

9. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

10. spidge

spidge Active Member

No Adrian!

You got three (12th) and Australia got two (14th).

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

We beat Australia AND Germany. I need a lie down.

12. Antipodean Andy

13. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

I guess you Brits need to hold on to any thread of sporting pride that may surface these days.

After all, rare occurrences should be celebrated.:becky:

By the way, I wonder what the ratio of medals per capita would work out at? :becky::becky:

Cheers

Owen

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Less than that of America, Russia and China. And please remember, we may have 6 times the Ozzy population, but we do not have the funding or backing for sports that Australia seems to have, so i think we can safely say it all balances out.

15. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Actually, Great Britain's funding was substantially greater than Australia's to my understanding. Which is understandable, considering that G.B. is the host nation in 2012.

We Aussies are even looking at your funding technique. (Though as you'll see, it's not without debate.)

Rudd considering Olympic lottery funding - 2008 Beijing Olympic Games - ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I think rather than dollars, it's a cultural issue to some degree. Kid's sport is a way of life here from a very young age and parents are also heavily involved. Mind you, I suspect Playstation and burgers are starting to make inroads 'downunda'. :mad2:

Cheers

Owen

...and best of luck for 2012. I'm a big Sebastian Coe fan from way back!

16. CTNana

CTNana Active Member

Heavens you can see how wars start can't you!!!!!!

17. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

18. spidge

spidge Active Member

19. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

...or fleece us!

(I didn't think it could get worse, but yes it has....................)

20. Antipodean Andy

Could be embarrassing if the Kiwis get involved and like the look of the sheep...