Explanation of Army Service Number

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Mike, May 13, 2009.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

I'm new to these forums, so I apologise if this request is in the wrong place or has been answered before.

Can someone explain to me the role of the Army service number during WW2.

I have read somewhere that each regiment/corp were allocated a specific block of numbers and when individuals initially joined up to a regiment, they were allocated a number from this block. This number then remained with the person if he transferred to a different regiment even if there was a break in a persons service. Is this correct?

I have obtained a list of most of these blocks of numbers. However, when I check the service numbers of my Grandfather (originally Connaught Ranger then later Pioneer Corp) and my Father-in-Law (origianally Welsh Regiment), niether of their service numbers look remotely like the number blocks allocated to these regiments in the list.

Any help greatly appreciated.:please:

Mike

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Mike

Can you tell us the numbers and when they joined up? As you say, an enlistee was allocated a number from the regiment they enlisted with. However, this was only true in WW2. In WW1 service numbers changed whenever a soldier moved units - as your grandfather was in the Connaught Rangers I assume he joined up either during WW1 or soon after, as the unit was disbanded in the 1920s.

Have you applied/received their service records? Can it be confirmed that they enlisted in the units that they served?

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

BTW if your grandfather did serve during WW1 you may also like to ask for more info on our sister forum WW1 Talk

4. Mike

Mike New Member

Number details

Hi,

That was quick:plane:

I can confirm that my Grandfather was indeed in the Connaught Reangers between 1919 and 1922. Discharged as Private.

He then rejoined the Pioneer Corp in 1940 until 1948. Royal Engineers 1948 to 1952. Discharged as WO2. He was involved with the removal of the UXB at St Paul's Cathederal in 1940. His service number was 13014??4 (can't make out the 6th and 7th digits on the printout of his service record).

According to the records that I have, my father-in-law was called up for militray service to the Welsh regiment as a driver 4 May 1944. Released from service by B.A.O.R as L/Cpl ( 14760431 ) 3 Jan 1948. His number appears to have more digits than what appears in the block number lists.

I am really trying ascertain how accurate the list of regiment block numbers that I have actually is when trying to identify enlistment regiments of others. I suspect that this will be very hit or miss at best.

Mike

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hi Mike

Your grandfather's number falls within the block allocated to the Pioneer Corps (13,000,001 - 14,000,000), which fits.

Your father-in-law's number falls within the block for the General Service Corps (14,200,001 - 15,000,000) which would also fit if he was called up, allotted a number before he was allotted a unit. The GSC was holding corps before men were assigned to units where they maybe needed.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

BBC - WW2 People's War - Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal in WWII

7. Mike

Mike New Member

KYT,

Thank you so much for clarifying the situation with service numbers. It is really appreciated as I couldn't find anything relevant on the internet.

You are obviously a bit of an expert. Thanks again.

8. 51highland

51highland Member

9. Mike

Mike New Member

Many thanks for this 51highland, the list concurs with the one that I have although mine has some additional later blocks included. Very helpful.