F.S.C.A. (Burma)?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by mrfish, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mrfish

mrfish New Member

Hi, Everyone

I've been researching the service of a member of the Royal Artillery (TA), and a friend recommended this site a great source of information. So here goes.

Ralph Adams from Leeds, enlisted on the 24 April 1939 and served with the 273rd (W.R. - West Riding?) Field Battery as a Bombardier in Iceland (12 July 1940 - 9 September 1942) before being Commissioned on the 5 June 1943.

He then left for India on the 11 November 1943 (passing via the MEF) and arrived at Bombay on the 24 January 1944. He was posted to the 7th Indian Field Regiment on the 25 May 1944. I don't know much about this unit, is there anywhere could go to get info on this Regiment? Was it an Artillery unit?

His papers then state that he entered F.S.C.A. on the 4 June 1944 with this unit. The next entry states 'wounded in action' on the 3 February 1945, and elsewhere in his papers it says 'wounded in action - Burma, remained at duty'.

His papers then state that he then left the F.S.C.A. on the same day.

I have searched for references to “F.S.C.A.” and have even written to the MoD to see if they know what this stands for and I guess this is the main reason for the post. Does anyone know what this might stand for? Presumably something to do with the Burma Campaign?

He returned to the F.S.C.A. in December 1945 as temporary Commander of the 7th Indian Field Regiment, before leaving for the UK via Singapore on the 12 March 1946.

My second question would be what campaign medals might he be entitled to? His papers only state awarded War Medal 1939-45! Presumably he would get nothing for Iceland (?) but maybe the two years there would count towards the 1939-45 Star, War Medal and Defence Medal?

For India, the Burma Star and 1939-45 Star plus enough overseas service to qualify for the Defence Medal, or would he qualify for the India Service Medal being posted to an Indian Unit?

Sorry for so many questions and for the length of the post, but I'm told if there are answers to these questions, then I'll find them with the members of this forum.

Many thanks in advance.

mrfish
    ><(((((*>

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

OK FSCA is proving a conundrum for me. I know I have heard it before but I am at a loss right now as to what it means, though it is from the Indian Service. Give us time to track this down. Also his war medals, hmm, I'm not very good on tracking those down at all, but there will be his medal card available, but if they are stating he is only entitled to one medal that seems seriously strange, unless he never quite managed the minimum number of days for the others. Again needs looking into.

All I can find is that FSCA seems to be something to do with being a Fellow of the Society of Company and Commercial Accountants! It is possible I suppose, but highly unlikely as his military records state it and I can find other ranking officers with the title, but no mention of what the hell it is.

BTW how is things in the Environment Agency? ;)

3. mrfish

mrfish New Member

Good thanks.

My best guess was Forward Southern Command Area. It appears to be something to do with Burma and is a theatre or command, as it states "Entered FSCA", gets wounded and the "Leaves FSCA". Like FSCA is a geographical area?

><(((((*>

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

it probably is something like that, and I can find it in association with other officers, but i can't find an adequate explanation, but its always to do with the Far Eastern Theatre. Will keep trawling

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Fsca

Hi Mr Fish,
    Love your doodle signature !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regarding your query, have you tried contacting the Burma Star Association.
    I'm sure that if it is an area reference, they will know and be able to tell you.

Cheers
    Keith.

6. 51highland

51highland Member

Found a reference as ; Field/fire support & Combined Arms. Sounds reasonable though probably an Americanism. The area thing sounds good too.

7. mrfish

mrfish New Member

Thanks, both.

I have written to the medal office, in Gloucester to try to get his medal entitlement confirmed. The lead about the Burma Star Association is a good one and I will follow that up.

The Fire support & Combined Arms seems to be a modern day division of the US Artillery?

><(((((*>

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Fsca

Hi MrFish.

If the Burma Star Association is fruitless try the Royal Artillery Regimental Association.

Full ot old codgers like myself, but a fountain of knowledge regarding things Artillery.

I like the sound of Forward Support Control, Artillery.

Cheers
    Keith
    (DI)

9. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

I haven't got much to add on the meaning of FSCA, however, "Forward Southern Command Area" seems logical - especially compared to the NCAC.

"The Northern Combat Area Command or NCAC was a mainly Sino-American formation that held the northern end of the Allied front in Burma during World War II. For much of its existence it was commanded by the acerbic General Joseph "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell." (from wiki)

10. Dave Barlow

Dave Barlow Member

The 7th Indian Field Regiment was composed of the 16th, 17th and 18th Field Batteries and it was equipped with 24 x 25-pounder field guns.

According to my copy of "The Indian Army in the Far East 1944-45" by David Hughes et al - the 7th was part of the 26th Indian Infantry Division and Ralph Adams would have arrived when the Division had been withdrawn from operations due to heavy casualties. This was the monsoon season and the division was rested and brought back up to strength for the next few months. (side-note - some of their Divisional Artillery remained in action, and it was here where one of the Indian gunners earnt the VC).

The division was next in action for the landings on Ramree Island and the 7th Indian Field Regiment was part of the 4th Indian Infantry Brigade (supporting the 2nd Battalion of the Green Howards and the 2nd Battalion of the 13th Frontier Force Rifles). The brigade landed as the follow-up force on 22Jan45 at Kyaukpyu and was in action until around the 17th of February.