Ferry Command Division

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Feb 5, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I can't remember who was asking about the Ferry Command ? ... don't know if this will help at all but I found this Remembrance

IN REMEMBRANCE

Everett Harold Oliver, Port Hastings, died May 5, 1994, in St. Martha's Regional Hospital, Antigonish. Born in Lower River Inhabitants, he was a son of the late Robert and Florence (Walker) Oliver. Upon graduating from Port Hawkesbury HIgh School and the following year from Provincial Normal College, Truro, he received a certificate of proficiency in radio in Saint John N.B. When the Second World War began, he joined the RAF in Montreal in the Ferry Command Division. He made 49 trips across the Atlantic, ferrying planes from Dorval to Prestwick, Scotland, as radio officer. His air travels took him as far as the Biblelands, Egypt and up the Nile River. After the war, he made several trips to the Far East across the Pacific on behalf of the war there, stopping at many countries including Australia. For his contribution to the war effort, he was presented with the Atlantic Star, the 1939-45 Star and 1939-45 KIng George VI Medal for meritorious service. He was made an honorary member of the National Geographic Society. During his lifetime he travelled extensively. One of the earliest travels was on the sealing ship Arctic Prowler. He then made several trips to the West Indies on cargo ships. After his war experiences, he travelled to the Far North as radio officer on the icebreaker D'Iberville, taking supplies to the Eskimos along the Arctic Coast, stopping at Resolute, River Clyde and Eureka. On his return home, he worked for the Canadian government as lockmaster at the Canso Canal for 23 years until his retirement. He received an award of merit from the Atmospheric Environment in recognition for meritorious service as volunteer weather observer for 30 years. He was a member of the Ferry Command Association, Montreal, and had attended several reunions there; member of St. David's United Church, Port Hastings and St. David's Mens Club; past master of Solomon Lodge 46 AF & AM; past member of Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 43, and life member of the Teachers Alumni.

Cape Breton Island Obituaries , Published Obituaries and Death Notices

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

There's a good series of books by, IIRC, Don McVicar which cover the subject (as part of his career) nicely. One day...

Ferry Command

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Ferry Command

Captain Price was one I found in my research who is Australian but listed as UK.

He was from Geelong in Victoria and buried in the beautiful Kilbride Old Churchyard in Lanarkshire.

I have Australians in Ferry Command who are buried in Trinidad, St Vincent, Brazil, $Ghana, Sudan etc along the Tokaradi route from America to Egypt.

PRICE, JOHN EVAN Captain

RAF Ferry Command
    10/08/1941
    Royal Air Force Ferry Command
    United Kingdom
    Plot 7. Coll. grave 398-413.
    KILBRIDE OLD CHURCHYARD UK
    Lanarkshire

View attachment 2759

View attachment 2760