Fitting memorial for hero

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Jun 19, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I'm not sure of the date on here ! ......

“Nelson’s greatest wartime hero,” who was involved in a daring World War 2 air raid on an Amsterdam power station and the famed Great Escape, has been recognised with a fitting memorial.
    A Takaka marble memorial, acknowledging the bravery of Group Captain Leonard Trent (NC 1928-34), was unveiled by his brother Austin Trent (NC 1940-43) beside the road that bears his name – Trent Drive, near Nelson Airport.
    Nelson MP Nick Smith, who chaired a board that pushed for the memorial, said Group Captain Trent’s values were an inspiration for future generations. “This memorial is about properly recognising Nelson’s greatest wartime hero.”
    Group Captain Trent was awarded the Victoria Cross for his leadership during a “ramrod” – a mission that had to be continued regardless of losses – bombing raid on an Amsterdam power station on May 2, 1943. He was flying one of the few planes in his squadron that reached the target but was shot down shortly afterwards, and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner in the German camp Stalag Luft III.
    He was involved in an escape attempt immortalised in the book The Great Escape, in which 250 prisoners attempted to break out using an elaborate tunnel system.
    Many failed, including Group Captain Trent, and many of those who escaped were killed. He was released after the war and died in 1986.

Article courtesy The Nelson Mail

http://www.nelcollege.school.nz/oldboys/documents/07Bulletin.pdf

2. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

The date is right!
    Trent (then Squadron Leader) was leading 11 Lockheed Venturas of 487 Sqdn RNZAF.
    Every one of them was shot down; Trent being in the lead aircraft (i.e. furthest from the pursuing fighters) was the last to go down, pressing on his attack despite his squadron falling all around him. He shot down a Bf109 with the fixed front guns of his bomber. Miraculously he and one other crewman survived when his aircraft broke up. His VC was not awarded until after his return from captivity.
    After the war he had to eject from both a Vampire and a Meteor, and commanded a Valiant bomber squadron.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A remarkable man.

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

I have always wondered how these men went back to normal lives after their experiences in war.

6. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Some didn't, or couldn't!

We've had various threads on those who had mental breakdowns. Others spent their lives searching for thrills in various ways; some became test pilots, others followed less respectable paths.

Some such as Trent, stayed in the forces, but the forces in peacetime were more regimented than in war, and those with a rebellious streak didn't fit in at all. For those who did fit, it was often precisely because of the regimentation which gave them a sense of security.

Of course there were many who did go successfully into civilian careers. I imagine those who did were very good at compartmentilizing their lives, having the ability to put the past firmly behind them, and very often not talking about the war at all.

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Well said, AR.

This op has been bothering me as my first thought was I didn't have anything about it but it was very familiar. Just remembered where I read it - Max Lambert's Night After Night. Just had a look, this is going to take a while and will challenge a few things about Trent. In no way, however, am I casting dispersions on the man. This is simply adding to this thread's information about the raid and those involved.

Pages 232-238
    As you may gather from the above, Night After Night is an excellent book.