Flight Lieutenant James Brindley Nicolson

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Keith, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi All,
    Official citation document for V.C.

Attached Files:

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Hi Keith !

Eric James Brindley Nicolson (1917 - 1945) - Find A Grave Memorial

Annie

3. Keith

Keith New Member

We owe our thanks

Hi Annie
    Thanks for your update on Flt.Lieut. Nicolson.
    Even though it has saddened me.
    I didn't have time to do any ferreting for more news.
    This came from a present from my wife, who bought me a Spitfire/Hurricane data folder for Christmas.
    It does seem a waste of such a valiant member of BoB.
    I shall make sure I remember him, especially at the Rememberance Parade next November, I shall offer special thanks to him.
    Cheers
    Keith

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Like Guy Gibson, Nicolson was quite a restless character. After winning his VC, and his recovery, he spent most of the rest of the war in Admin and training roles. And like Gibson, he shouldn't really have been on the final flights that killed them

5. Gage

Gage New Member

He was the only VC winner in Fighter Command throughout WWII.

6. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

I notice his Wing Commander originally only recommended him for a DFC, and it was Park and Dowding who recommended the VC.

Was the Wingco being mean, or was it not normally done for a middle-ranking officer to make a VC recommendation?

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Hi Adrian,
    I don't think his Wingco was being mean.
    Only very clever, he suspected that even though the pilot was obviously way in front of any meaning of over and beyond the call of duty, he felt that by playing it the way he did he knew he would be granted the highest honour.
    Had he demanded a V.C. which it was worth, it may have been downgraded by the upper brass.
    The way it was achieved meant that everyone received the maximum pleasure of ensuring the 1st. and only VC of the BoB.

There are many ways to skin a cat!

Cheers
    Keith