FLTLT Francis Owen Smith

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Nostalgair, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Lads,

I thought I'd throw this one out there as I am researching two airmen at the moment.

One of the chaps I received my first name from. He is FLTLT Francis Owen Smith. (My middle name is after my Dad.) He was K.I.A operating out of Tadji on 13MAR45 with 100 Squadron. He was engaged to my mother at the time and they were due to be married in April.

I have tracked down his service records, the operations report and the inquiry into the loss of his Bristol Beaufort. I have personal photos, etc as well.

Knowing the knowledge out there, (I'm thinking "anoraks" and it's still cracking me up:becky:), has anyone got any other places I should look?

Cheers

Owen

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Post on rafcommands, Owen (rafcommands.com, I think). Kyt's a regular on there so that might be a faster way to do it. I'm afraid I'm in the middle of something that needs to be done tonight otherwise I'd be googling etc.

Inquiry into his loss?

3. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Andy,

Yes, it seems that the bomb fuses were faulty and there was a premature detonation just after bomb release.

It was witnessed by an aircraft behind and happened again to another Beaufort shortly afterwards.

So close to the end too.

Cheers

Owen

4. Antipodean Andy

Ridiculous. Flying to the best of their abilities, doing their job well and that happens. Never ceases to amaze me.

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

A tragic loss indeed. I've just started reading the inquiry report on A9-650 and A9-625, and about the obsolete firing pistols.

Owen, I can't think where else you could go except, as Andy suggested, asking on RafCommands Forums - Powered by vBulletin for anyone else involved in research into 100 (RAAF) Squadron. I know you are a member of TOCH, but rafcommands also has a tremendous membership who are always willing to help.

The Beaufort File gives no more details other than the one line for the individual aircraft serial.

6. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Thanks Kyt,

Yes, they were so close to coming home.

A sad loss indeed, but I can assure you that he was never forgotten within our household.

Also, for Spidge, I think there may be a photo of Frank's headstone at Lae in my files if you'd like a scan.

Owen

7. spidge

spidge Active Member

Yes please!

8. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Spidge,

I'll get the photo to you shortly along with another from Arnhem.

Cheers

Owen

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Thanks Owen!

10. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi All,

I thought it might be appropriate to post this image as well.

The crew of 100 SQN RAAF Beaufort A9-557. L to R; Flying Officer John Shipman, Flight Lieutenant Harry John "Jack" Fowler (Pilot), Flight Lieutenant 'Frank' Owen Smith and Flying Officer Geoff Waite.

This crew was lost on operations 13th March 1945.

View attachment 1378

Cheers,

Owen

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

By the way Owen, how many deaths do you have for 100sq RAAF?

12. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Spidge,

At first glance, I have 115 aircrew and 6 ground crew losses for 100 Squadron RAAF.

Also, are you cataloguing aircrew lost in training within Australia? I visit rural airfields that were used for wartime training from time to time. eg Temora.

Regards,

Owen

13. Antipodean Andy

He's doing everyone!

Who's the other guy you mention in your first post in this thread, Owen?

14. spidge

spidge Active Member

As Andy states, I am doing "all" RAAF deaths from 1939 to December 31st 1945. The CWGC goes to 1947.

I just went through and double checked that I didn't have any 100sq RAF mixed up and came up with 145 for 100sq RAAF.

The postings at death were an after thought, so I had to go back to the Roll of Honour and go through them one by one. If you ever meet me, I am the crossed eyed one!
    :)

I have just achieved another 193 deaths of those who joined the RAF, RCAF & SAAF.

THere are still another 100 to catalogue and then another spreadsheet sort is required.

With this other 193, the

Total is now 11,028 in

1066+ cemeteries
    (so far, some of that extra 193 are in another 13 cemeteries)

in 65 countries.

15. spidge

spidge Active Member

There are thirteen deaths recorded at Temora. All part of 10 EFTS.

Altogether in Australia, there are 2,369 deaths in 214 separate Cemeteries or Memorials.

We will have to write a book together.:becky:

Much of this interest stemmed from the time I was on Tarawa (Kiribati) in 1993 when some young US Air Force cadets stated during a discussion on WW2:

Australia, they weren't even in WW2 were they?:mad2:

16. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

Hi Andy,

The other chap is Bob Eggins.

He is another family friend and was lost on Lancaster operations in March 1945.

Cheers,

Owen

17. Antipodean Andy

Thanks Owen.

Spidge, what's the count up to for burials in Australia? How many have you got so far?

18. spidge

spidge Active Member

Altogether in Australia, there are 2,369 deaths in 214 separate Cemeteries or Memorials.

Would you believe 2,000 to go!

NSW - 800
    NT - 360
    Qld - 380
    SA - 140
    Tas - 22
    Vic - 200 to go
    WA - 17 to go

Really big job ahead....................

As an example, 120 of Victoria is at Springvale in Melbourne. Just need a day to get there and get it done. The rest are spread around country cemeteries.

19. Antipodean Andy

Well, make that 379 in Qld! Will send tonight. Will arrange for the one (?) in Clermont to be done - just sent my sister an email. I know there's some in Mackay as well. Any in Emerald? Haven't got the Qld list handy as it's at home.

I thought I had 64ish to go in WA as there's 35+ in Geraldton etc? Have you been a hussy and used another West Aussie?!

Have had an email re Norway as well but have to reply to it before sending on to you. Apparently there is a national day in May where flowers are put on such graves so Tom would like to wait to take the pics then.

20. Nostalgair

Nostalgair New Member

I might be able to help out with Mackay. Let me know where you think the chaps are laid to rest.

As for Singapore, I was there every couple of months up until recently; not now though unfortunately.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Owen