For Jerome ...

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Apr 2, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

2. Jerome

Jerome Member

Thanks Annie; another one to add to the list! Trinidad had a similar case in WW1. Stuart Scott, served as a stretcher bearer then was commissioned in the Army, was wounded in action & on recovery transferred to RFC and on 1 Apr 18, given the option, transferred to the RNAS!!

3. liverpool annie

4. Jerome

Jerome Member

thanks again Annie

5. liverpool annie

Jerome I found this flyer when I was researching the R38 air disaster in 1921 ... not WW2 or even WW1 but I thought you maybe interested !

THOMAS, D.F.C.
    G M
    Flight Lieutenant, H.M. Airship R 38, Royal Air Force. Died on Wednesday 24th August 1921. Son of Mr. T. Thomas, of Savanna-la-Man,( Mar?) Jamaica, British West Indies. D.F.C. Commemorated in HULL WESTERN CEMETERY, Yorkshire. "R 38" Memorial.

Roll of Honour - Yorkshire - Hull R38 Memorial

6. liverpool annie

Looks like he'd already had a narrow squeak a few weeks before ........

sgt | gnr | cpl | 1920 | 0565 | Flight Archive

DATE: August 24, 1921
    TAKE-OFF POINT: Howden, Yorks
    CRASH LOCATION: River Humber Estuary, Near Hull, Yorks
    AIRCRAFT TYPE & SERIAL: Airship R.38
    CREW FATALITIES: Air Cdre E.M. Maitland CMG DSO AFC; Flt Lt G.M. Thomas DFC; Flt Lt I.C. Little AFC; Flt Lt R.S. Montagu DSC; Flt Lt J.F.M. Pritchard OBE AFC; Fg Off T.F. Mathewson AFC; Fg Off V.H. Wicks; Flt Sgt S.J. Heath; Flt Sgt W.H. Greene; Flt Sgt H. Thompson; Flt Sgt F. Smith; Flt Sgt J. Rye; Flt Sgt A.T. Martin; Sgt J.W. Mason; Sgt F.E. Burton; LAC G.S. Anger; LAC W. Oliver; LAC J.N. Wilson; AC1 J.C. Drew; AC1 C.W. Donald; AC1 E.E. Steere AM; AC1 C.W. Penson; AC2 R. Parker; AC2 R. Withington; Mr J.R. Pannnell, National Physical Laboratory; Mr C.W. Duffield, , National Physical Laboratory; Mr C.J.R. Campbell, Royal Airship Works; Mr F. Warren, Royal Airship Works
    PURPOSE OF TEST FLIGHT: Prolonged, cruising test flight with the future American crew on board (not listed) to gain experience
    ACCIDENT DETAIL: During flight near full rudder was applied and this was almost immediately reversed. The airship was flying at about 45 or 50 m.p.h. and the structure began to fail between frames 9 and 10, finally breaking in two. The forward section caught fire and both parts fell into the river amidst an intense petrol fire

TEST FLYING MEMORIAL

7. liverpool annie

In Memory of
    Flight Lieutenant G M THOMAS
    D F C

H.M. Airship R.38., Royal Air Force
    who died
    on 24 August 1921
    Son of Mr. T. Thomas, of Savanna-la-Man, Jamaica, British West Indies.

Remembered with honour
    HULL WESTERN CEMETERY

CWGC :: Certificate

8. liverpool annie

I think this is the young man on the postage stamp .... but his name is spelt differently !

Lacombe Alphonsus McCOY, 130839, Pilot Officer, Royal Air Force (V.R.), died 11th April 1943. From Dominica, West Indies

In Memory of
    Pilot Officer LACOMBE ALPHONSUS McCOY

130839, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    who died
    on 11 April 1943
    Of Dominica.

Remembered with honour
    MALTA MEMORIAL

9. John

John Active Member

Hello Jerome
    We had a few Jamaicans who served in the Australian Navy in WW2. Just go to NAA file and you can find them. I tried to send you the website but it didn't work.

10. Jerome

Jerome Member

Thanks Annie & John. Trinidad also had 2 RAAF in WW2; de Verteuil M P & P J - brothers I think