Forgeries revealed at Kew

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, May 4, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Forgeries revealed in the National Archives - Times Online

2. Brian S

Brian S Guest

Forged Documents

Anyone who has used T.N.A. in the last couple of years will have been aware of the problem.

The added security includes the stapling of any loose pages of notes you have before they can be taken into the reading rooms. At present the security has been moved up to the first floor reading room entrance. Added security now does not cover the micro film rooms as it had done prior to the ongoing alterations.
    A step forward for security,I think not.

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

when i was there last year all books and pencils were put into clear plastic bags and they were checked going in and coming out. Now i know why.

4. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Just recently, the National Archives have withdrawn access to Board of Trade files (BT) via their Digital Express service. These files contain the records of merchant seamen and include personal information. It would appear the service has been suspended until the removal of NI numbers and other personal information that could be of use to fraudsters.

I understand these files, at present, can only be accessed by visit to the archives and I await further information from them.

From the above piece in the Times, now we know why.
    Regards
    Hugh

5. Brian S

Brian S Guest

T.n.a.

Plastic carriers are provided for those who need them,but I use an A4 clear Plastic case. The check on what goes in and out of the reading room is quite thorough even if you pass through the door several times during the day. At present you do not need a readers card to use the first floor micro film room,but one is needed for the readers and large document rooms. Although I have used T.N.A. for many years now that my readers card is almost expired I will still have to take two forms of personal identification to get a renewal. Both will have to show my address.
    Fine if this prevents any further problems. The relaxation of security in the Micro Film room takes a little understanding though.

Brian

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

FT.com / World - Historians seek archive forgery probe

7. Kitty

Kitty New Member

this could be interesting

8. Gibbo

Gibbo Guest

Having to put your stuff into a clear plastic bag when entering or leaving an archive is common, certainly the British Library & the National Library of Scotland use the same process. I'd guess that the problem in this case is that they were expecting people to steal documents, not bring in forgeries. A number of combat reports by WWI aces went missing from the NA some years ago.