Garden surface air raid shelters

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by squawk, Oct 7, 2010.

1. squawk

squawk New Member

Good afternoon all! I have been checking a garden surface brick air raid shelter for the council local studies library and would appreciate some advice on a couple of points.

1. The shelter has a small square hole at the top of one wall. This would be for ventilation, but also possibly to counteract any air pressure wave caused by blast?

2. At ground level on one wall the pointing has failed in a general square area. Elsewhere it is sound. Have been told that there were "weak points" in these shelters to allow persons to break out if the main entrance became blocked. Not sure about this - sounds like a retelling of the escape hatch arrangement in underground communal shelters, and having a weak area in a surface shelter wall?? - but does anybody know whether this square area could be an escape facility?

3. Unlike other shelters I have seen, this one is made of cement bricks not the usual "househiold" bricks. Anybody come acropss that before and does this type have a code or designation?

This is a bit off my usual range of interests and any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks!

"Squawk"
    View North West 004.JPG