Help Needed to find a Pilot

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by John, Oct 12, 2008.

1. John

John Active Member

Trying to find info re following pilot.
    Flight Lieutanant - Jack Henry Bull
    Service - RAAF
    Service Number - 403837
    Enlisted - 3 March 1941 Sydney NSW
    Discharged - 6 June 1946
    Posting at discharge - Central Flying School

I have been told that he did serve with the RAF and that he flew Flying Boats.
    Anyone have a website that could help me. His file has not been made digital as yet in the NAA

Regards
    John

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

John

You've probably already got this info but this is from a basic search (all I'm capable of!) on AWM:

Mention in Despatches
    Service Number 403837
    Service RAAF
    Rank Flight Lieutenant
    Unit RAAF
    Conflict Second World War
    Date of London Gazette 1 January 1945, page 99, position 51
    Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette 4 January 1945, page 4, position 73

If you bung in his name here - Australian War Memorial - Research a person - you can find a pdf of the notification as well.

I haven't had any luck on the LG.

3. John

John Active Member

Hi Andy

Had a brain snap and never thought to look in AWM file. Never knew about the MID. Do you know how I can find out about what he did to get the MID ?

John

4. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

5. Antipodean Andy

Well done, K.

Couldn't begin to tell you, John. A record of his postings would be the perfect start of course!

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

It is worth applying for a quote for the record as, if it is less than 10 pages, the NAA have been known to send a copy for free.

7. John

John Active Member

Thanks for your help Andy. I am trying to get out of spending money on NAA records.

8. John

John Active Member

Thanks for your help with the two entries you made. I wll try NAA but I don't fancy my chances.

9. Antipodean Andy

As Kyt says, John, it's worth a try! At least he hasn't recommended a book to you. That gets expensive!

10. NickFenton

NickFenton Member

Fella's,

Give me some pointers. I do get to Kew quite often and would be glad to help.

Nick

11. mathsmal

mathsmal New Member

If he was on flying boats, he was possibly based at RAF Mount Batten, Plymouth, Devon. There was deffinately an RAAF squadron based there.

12. John

John Active Member

Hi Nick
    What is Kew ?
    John

13. John

John Active Member

Hi Mathmal

Thanks for the website and I will check it out

John

14. Antipodean Andy

Yes, my first thought was 10 Sqn but if there's reference to him being in the RAF perhaps this hints at him being in a pure RAF squadron. This opens up a lot more avenues to follow unfortunately (or fortunately as you'll encounter lots of tangents if you have to hunt him out! :becky:).

So, Porcupines, Cats, Shagbats...what else...did the RAF play with Mariners like we did? Also, sure he may have been based out of the British Isles but we can't discount the Med, West Africa, East Africa or the Far East. As we know, RAF flying boat units operated in all of those areas.

The more I think about it, the more intriguing it gets!

John, Kew is where The National Archives (TNA) are in England.

15. John

John Active Member

Hi Andy

It was also said that he trained in Canada. I guess when things are passed down over the years they may change the story of where and who he flew for. I tried googling for him without any luck.

John

16. Antipodean Andy

Training in Canada would have been under EATS as you know and his most likely next stop would have been the UK (did Canadian "graduates" ever go elsewhere direct?) after a North Atlantic convoy crossing. Pretty standard assumption that many of the guys on here could add substantial detail to.

Flying boat squadrons often operated on detachment as well so while the main element of his unit, whatever it is, might have been based in the UK, Jack could have been in the Med or West Africa, for example.

It's looking more and more like the NAA is the place to go unless someone can turn up a reference in a squadron history etc.

17. John

John Active Member

Hi Andy

Yes it looks like the NAA maybe the way to go now.

John

18. NickFenton

NickFenton Member

John,

Next time l am there l will see what l can find. It will not be for a couple of weeks but l will get back to you.

If you can add any more to what has been said here, let me know.

Regards,

Nick

19. John

John Active Member

Hello Nick

That would be great. I know nothing else about him so there is very little to go on

Regards

John

20. David Bull

David Bull New Member

Dear Browers,

The late F/Lt Jack Henry Bull, RAAF, Service No: 403837 was my father. Our family has his Flying Log and Service Diary.

He served in RAF 262 Squadron in Congella, Durban, St Lucia and Langabaan in South Africa at the Captain of Catalina Mk 1b G/262 Squadron. He undertook anti-submarine surveillance and serach-and-rescue in the Indian Ocean between March and October 1943 and often flew to Madagascar.

Please contact me if you require an specific information.

David