Help with carving on Berthier Carbine.

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by astahlecker530, Apr 12, 2012.

1. astahlecker530

astahlecker530 New Member

This isn't a post about the weapon as much as the carving/engraving. I just today finally found out exactly what kind of rifloe my Grandfather brought back from europe when i noticed a carving on the stock it reads "Necker Leutnant, J.R." the rest i cannot make out for certain. The only thing that I could make sense of is that leutnant is german for second lieutenant. I'll provide pictures. Does the carving mean anything to anyone? i would really like to be able to indentify a little more of the history to the weapon. IMG_2620[1].JPG IMG_2619[1].JPG

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi 530,

It looks like the weapon belonged to a Leutnant JR Necker probably of a pioneer unit going by the symbol of the pick. Probably taken of him at the end of the war or perhaps your Grandfather took it off his dead body to bring home as a trophy. There is a German equivalent of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission which you would be able to find on your search engine where you would be able to put the Leutnant's name in and see if someone of that name died and where he is buried. This may tie in with where your Grandfather was operating at that time.
    Hope this helps
    Sniper.

ps Welcome to the forum and please stick around and join in with us.