High Ranking Aussies in the RAF

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by spidge, Apr 9, 2009.

1. spidge

spidge Active Member

Among good company.
    At the bottom of the page shows Australians in high position in the RAF.
    western australia | pathfinder force | air force | 1944 | 0245 | Flight Archive

This one also from Flight magazine shows the attendees at the 1928 "Royal Air Force Dinner Club"
    group capt | fl | sq | 1928 | 0680 | Flight Archive

Air Vice-Marshal H. V. Champion de Crespigny

His medals were auctioned in 2001.

Description:

A fine Second War C.B.,
    Great War Pilot's M.C., D.F.C. group of twelve awarded to Air Vice-Marshal H. V. Champion de Crespigny, commanding No. 29 Squadron R.F.C. and No. 65 Squadron R.A.F. on the Western Front, and with extensive service on the North West Frontier of India.
    The Most Honourable Order Of The Bath, C.B. (Military) neck badge, silver-gilt and enamels, in its Garrard case of issue; Military Cross, G.V.R.;
    Distinguished Flying Cross, G.V.R.;
    1914-15 Star (2 Lieutenant, R.F.C.);
    British War And Victory Medals, with M.ID. oak leaf (Major, R.A.F.);
    India General Service 1908-35,
    4 clasps,Mahsud 1919-20,
    Waziristan 1919-21,
    Waziristan 1921-24,
    North West Frontier 1930-31 (F/lt., R.A.F.);
    Africa Star;
    Defence & War Medals;
    Coronation 1937;
    French Croix De Guerre 1914-18,
    the last eleven mounted as worn, together with a Polish pilot's badge by Firmin, nearly very fine or better, the I.G.S. extremely rare 13.

2. spidge

spidge Active Member

I did not realise this list could be copied.

A U S T R A L I A N S I N H I G H AIR P O S TS

THE appointment of Air Marshal Sir Arthur Coningham to command No. 2 Tactical' Air Force in Britain adds the name of another Australian to the list of men from the Commonwealth occupying important air posts in the Royal Air Force.

Apart from many Australians of lesser rank occupying R.A.F. positions, leading Australians in air affairs in Britain now include: —

Air Marshal Sir A. M. ("Peter") Drummond, K.C.B.,
    D.S.O., O.B.E., M.C., R.A.F., of Perth, Western Australia, Air Member for Training;

Air Marshal Sir Arthur Coningham,
    K.C.B., D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., A.F.C., .R.A.F., of Brisbane, Queensland,
    Air Officer Commanding No. 2 Tactical Air Force of the R.A.F. based in Britain;

Air Vice-Marshal D. C. T. Bennett, C.B.E., D.S.O., R.A.F., of Queensland, Commanding
    Officer, Pathfinder Force;

Air Vice-Marshal H. V.'Champion De Crespigny, OB.-, M.C., D.F.C., R.A.F., of Perth, Western Australia, Air Officer Commanding a R.A.F. flying training group;

Group Captain Hughie I. Edwards, V.C., D.S.O., D.F.C., R.A.F., of Perth, Western Australia, Commanding Officer of a R.A.F. bomber station at which there is a R.A.A.F.
    Squadron;

Group Capt. W. H. Myle, D.F.C., R.A.F., of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, CO. of a R.A.F. bomber station.

3. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Hi Spidge,
    Extremely interesting that W.A is predominate in this list.
    Any ideas why?

GW

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

No mate not a clue!

Did notice that when posting though.

I could be facetious and say that is where most of the Brits made their first stop and stayed but then they would call me another one from the other side of the rabbit proof fence or a bloody eastener.

5. spidge

spidge Active Member

6. Golden Wattle

Golden Wattle New Member

Spidge,
    Facinating career for both of the brothers.
    Love the ****his claims seem to be overly optimistic***.

Still, so interesting that officers were moved so often to broaden their knowledge.

:plane:

GW

P.S.
    We can talk about the Sandgropers, they haven't discovered electricity yet.

7. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Yes, peddling the bike to make my first 3,500 posts kept me fit...

Bloody easterners.

8. spidge

spidge Active Member

Air Chief Marshal Sir William (Gore Sutherland) Mitchell

Through more research, I have come across another Australian born Air Chief Marshall of the RAF. A very distinguished career shortened by an early death at the age of 56.

The first RAF officer to hold the post (Gentleman Usher) of the "Black Rod" in the House of Lords.

Can anyone tell me where he is buried as he is not on the CWGC website. Was he classed as a civilian at the time of his death?

Air Chief Marshal Sir William (Gore Sutherland) Mitchell

William Gore Sutherland b: 8 Mar 1888 r: 1 Jul 1941 d: 15 Aug 1944
    KCB - 1 Jan 1938 (CB - 1 Jan 1935), CBE - 30 May 1924, DSO - 1 Jan 1918, MC - 1 Jan 1917, AFC - 3 Jun 1919, MiD - 19 Oct 1914 (& 9Dec 1914), MiD - 1 Jan 1916, MiD - 11 Dec 1917, MiD - 10 Jun 1921, MiD - 30 May 1924.
    (Army): - 2 Lt: 15 Aug 1906, Lt: 4 Nov 1911, (T) Capt: 15 Jan 1915, Capt: 17 May 1915, (T) Maj: 1 Mar 1916, (T) Lt Col: 18 Dec 1916.
    (RAF): - (T) Lt Col [Maj]: 1 Apr 1918, (T) Col:9 Jul 1918, Wg Cdr: 1 Aug 1919 [1 Apr 1918], Gp Capt: 1 Jul 1924, A/Cdre: 1 Jul 1929, AVM: 1 Jul 1933, AM: 1 Jul 1937, Act ACM (unpd):9 Sep 1939 - 13 May 1940, ACM: Retained.
    (RAFO Class CC): - Wg Cdr: 13 Jul 1942.
    15 Aug 1906: Officer, 4thBattalion, Devonshire Regiment (Special Reserve).
    28 Jun 1908: Officer, 3rd Battalion, Devonshire Regiment (Special Reserve).
    xx xxx 1909: Officer, Highland Light Infantry. (RAeC Certificate No 483)
    xx xxx 1913: Attended Central Flying School.
    17 Dec 1913: Pilot, No 4 Sqn RFC. (Various types – Netheravon/Western Front)
    15 Jan 1915: Flight Commander, No 10 Sqn RFC. (BE2c, BE2d – UK/Western Front)
    1 Jun 1916: Officer Commanding, No 10 Sqn RFC. (BE2c, BE2d – Western Front)
    18 Dec 1916: Officer Commanding, 12th (Corps) Wing RFC.
    9 Jul 1918: Officer Commanding, No 20 Group.
    1 Aug 1919: Awarded Permanent Commission as a Lieutenant Colonel
    6 Jan 1920: Officer Commanding, No 52 (Corps) Wing. (India)
    1 Apr 1920: Officer Commanding, No 3 (Indian) Wing. (re-designated No 1 (Indian) Wing)
    10 Jul 1920: Officer Commanding, No 1 (Indian) Wing, Wiziristan.
    28 Mar 1924: Officer Commanding, No 1 FTS.
    19 Jan 1925: Group Captain - Admin, HQ RAF Halton./OC No 1 SoTT (Boys)
    8 Mar 1928: Officer Commanding, Aden Command.
    4 Oct 1929: Director of Training.
    30 Jan 1933: AOC, RAF Cranwell/Commandant, RAF College.
    31 Dec 1934: AOC, British Forces in Iraq.
    1 Jul 1937: Air Member for Personnel.
    21 Mar 1938: Supernumerary, HQ No 6 (Auxiliary) Group.
    23 Mar 1939: AOC in C, RAF Middle East.
    24 May 1940: Inspector-General of the RAF.
    1 Oct 1941: Reverted to Retired List retaining the rank of Air Chief Marshal.
    26 Sep 1941 Appointed Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod
    13 Jul 1942: Appointed to commission in Class CC of RAFO, Admin and Special Duties branch
    xx xxx 1942 - 15 Aug 1944: Commandant, London Command - ATC.
    He was awarded RAeC No 483 on 17 May 1913. Retiring from the RAF in 1941, he became the first RAF officer to hold the post of 'Black Rod' in the House of Lords. With the expansion of the Air Training Corps following it's formation in 1941, there became a growing need for decentralising the command structure as a result of which he was appointed Commandant of London Command in 1942, a post he held until his death at the early age of 56 from a heart attack.

9. spidge

spidge Active Member

Sir William Mitchell

Some very interesting information forthcoming on Sir William Mitchell.

(1) He was buried at Wandsworth Putney Vale Cemetery in London. (Thank you for the headstone photo Annie!)

The most important was this:

>
    >

10. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

He certainly had an interesting career ! .... and he was able to weave his way through WW1 in the RFC .... which was quite a feat in itself !! :)

I see India and Indian mentioned a lot ... what does does that mean ? did he go to instruct the flyers in India after the first world war ?

Where did you find out he died of cerebral thrombosis Geoff ? thats new information you've found !

11. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Annie,

An interesting career indeed.

He was officer commanding those "Wings" in India.

From some papers in the UK. I did not pursue the cerebral thrombosis area (which is apparently on his death certificate) as it can cause a stroke so they may have just said Heart Attack to keep it simple.

Cheers

Geoff