Indian Service with the Green Howards

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kohima, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Kohima

Kohima Guest

Hi All,

just picked up an IGS to a member of the 2nd Bn The Green Howards (The Yorkshire Regiment). I am trying to nail down how he died & the CWGC site shows him buried in Kirkee (Poona) having died on 30th March 1942.

I am trying to time line the Bn's whereabouts at the time of his death. I have info that he was in Lahor but an Indian burial suggests his remains were removed after independance or the Bn was actually stationewd at the garrison town of Poona.

Any help greatfully received.

Regards

simon

2. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

Hi Simon ... this isn't what you asked for ... but .....

Here are some photographs ... maybe your soldier has been included ....

Kirkee Cemetary - a set on Flickr

If not - maybe this site could help with a photo for a donation ....

War Grave and Memorial Photographs supplied by The War Graves Photographic Project

Kirkee Cemetery & War Memorial
    It is the final resting place of several British soldiers who laid their lives down during WWII. Graves have been moved here from western and central parts of India where maintenance was difficult. The Kirkee Memorial on the same premises commemorates soldiers who laid their lives down during the First World War
    The graves and their inscriptions make you realize how lucky we are to have been born in a free world and how much we take for granted the security that it provides. Soldiers as young as 20, mere boys, rest here having breathed their last in a war to save the world from oppression ........ the soldiers who lie here come from all wings of the British Armed Forces. Many of the graves were reinterred here from the Sewri Cemetery in Mumbai in 1960.

Annie :)

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I haven't been able to find your man in The Times but looking at 2nd Batt burials, there appears to be a pattern. Those who died in 1940/41 are buried at Delhi. Those who died in the first half of 1942 are buried at Kirkee, those in the later half of 1942 through to 1943 are in Karachi (which means that they were not transferred from Pakistan to India after Independence) and those who died from 1944 onwards are buried closer to Burma.

I would suggest contacting:

The Friends of the Green Howards

who will be able to provide some info about where they were based.

4. spidge

spidge Active Member

Even a few RAAF lads! One of which seems to be the oldest Flight Lieutenant I have come across.

ALLEN, JAMES FREDERICK Flight Sergeant 405616 SAC STN POONA 1/09/1943 22

HAYTER, HAROLD EDGAR Flight Lieutenant 257620 227 Group (RAF) 15/08/1943 40

SHANAHAN, JOSEPH PATRICK Warrant Officer 418186 353sq (ACSEA) 17/08/1945 23

STRACHAN, ROBERT HAWKINS Warrant Officer 413040 3 RFU POONA 16/01/1945 26

WHITEHURST, DOUGLAS ARTHUR Flight Sergeant 421779 3 RFU RAF POONA 16/05/1944 20

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hayter appears to have died of illness, and employed on the Admin side

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Yes, I didn't think he would be testing the G's in a Spitfire at that age.