Interesting coincidence/correlation

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, May 9, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Still wading through Lambert's Night after Night - New Zealanders in Bomber Command and read an interesting bio of a Kiwi pilot called Keith Thiele DSO, DFC and Bar. Did two tours on bombers including 467 Sqn and then ferried Lancs from Canada before realising his dream to fly Spits (and, later, Tempests). After the war, he flew for QANTAS, set up a marina and then sailed to New Zealand (living in Australia) to see the first defence of the America's Cup there.

The coincidence begins with his experiences over Europe. His Tempest was shot down while attacking a train. The flak crew who hit him saved him from being lynched by the civilians who had been waiting for the train (five weeks before war's end, he walked out of a POW camp).

Now, reading about a Kiwi ace by the surname of Harvey (10 V1s etc) in the latest Classic Wings magazine, I came across the same thing. Due to head off on a strike in his Tempest, Harvey was told to hop out by none other than Roly Beamont. RB took his place and was subsequently shot down attacking a train. The letter then says this more or less: "He was saved by a flak crew from being lynched by the mob who were waiting for the train that he had attacked"!

The letter refers to Harvey sitting in the recently restored Mk Vb (BL628) that is now flying in the US.

Sorry for no further details like sqns but don't have the book or magazine with me at present.

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Though there were occassions when aircrew were lynched in most cases they were "looked after" by the German soldiers who allowed a bit of slapping and verbal abuse sometimes but no more.

Interesting characters - and I ordered the book yesterday (damn you Andy)

3. Antipodean Andy

Kyt, Keith Thiele, still alive apparently and living in Australia, is the cousin of Max Lambert. I've just seen reference to him having the DFC and two Bars.

Had a look for a Kiwi ace by the name of Harvey but it occurred to me it was a personal letter so it was more likely his first name. This chap fits but I'll have to check when I get home (not that I'll be able to confirm for a while!).

SLdr Harvey Nelson SWEETMAN 15 [12+3] 2 Shores & Will. (11,5 V-1s) RNZAF 485Sq, 486Sq, 3Sq 7+10,5V1s (Hess)
    Fighter aces of New Zealand in WW2

4. Antipodean Andy

Excellent...mwahahahahaha.

5. Antipodean Andy

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Keith Frederick Thiele

DFC 11/8/1942
    Acting Squadron Leader Keith Frederick THIELE (N.Z.404966), Royal .New Zealand Air Force, No. 405 (R.C.A.F.) Squadron

Distinguished Service Order 11/5/1943
    Flight Lieutenant Keith Frederick THIELE, D.F.C. (N.Z40496), Royal New Zealand Air Force, No. 467 (R.A.A.F.) Squadron.
    The majority of this officers sorties have been attacks on well-defended and distant targets which have all been highly successful. On one occasion during an attack on Berlin his rear gunner lost consciousness from lack of oxygen, but Fit. Lt. Thiele proceeded with the mission although two of the crew were fully occupied with the unconscious man. Later he returned to this country at a very low altitude in an attempt to succour the gunner. While on a flight to Nuremberg in March, 1943, the port engine caught fire early on the outward journey. The flames were extinguished, however, and the whole flight accomplished with success

Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross. 25/5/1943
    Acting Squadron Leader Keith Frederick THIELE, D.S.O., D.F.C. (N.Z.404966), Royal New Zealand Air Force, No. 467 (R.A.A.F.) Squadron.
    One night in May, 1943, this officer captained an aircraft detailed to attack Duisburg. When nearing the target area, the aircraft was subjected to anti-aircraft fire and severely damaged when a shell burst underneath the fuselage. Despite this. Squadron Leader Thiele flew on to the target. Whilst making his bombing run, the aircraft was illuminated by the searchlights but this captain maintained a straight course in order to ensure accurate bombing. Just as the bomb aimer had completed his work, the aircraft was repeatedly hit by fragments from bursting shells. One burst destroyed i of the engines, whilst shortly afterwards a second engine was disabled. The windscreens on the starboard side of the pilot's and the bomb aimer's cabins were shattered. Although he was dazed by a blow from a shell splinter, which struck him on the side of the head. Squadron Leader Thiele skilfully extricated the damaged bomber from a perilous situation and endeavoured to fly it to base. Shortly after crossing the English coast he was unable to maintain height but, displaying superb airmanship he struggled on and succeeded in effecting a crashlanding at an airfield. In most hazardous circumstances, Squadron Leader Thiele displayed courage, skill and determination of a high order.

Second Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross. 4/5/1945
    Flight Lieutenant Keith Frederick THIELE, D.S.O., D.F.C. (N.Z.404966), R.N.Z.A.F., 3 Sqn.
    This officer's operational record is outstanding. As pilot of a bomber aircraft he completed two tours of duty during which he took part hi very many attacks on enemy targets Since joining his present squadron, Flight Lieutenant Thiele has taken part in a large number of sorties, involving has personally been responsible for the destruction of numerous locomotives, barges and mechanical vehicles. In air fighting he has shot down 2 enemy aircraft. This officer has displayed the highest qualities of skill, together with great bravery and iron determination. His example has inspired all.