It Never Snows in September

Discussion in 'Books and Films' started by liverpool annie, Mar 16, 2009.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I've been trying to be good too ... but I fell down and bought this last week ...... :faint:

It Never Snows in September - The German View of Market Garden and the Battle of Arnhem September 1944 by Robert Kershaw

Photos are amazing !! .... haven't started it yet though !!

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

Arnhem was intended to be the operation that broke the "camels" back. It did not turn out that way and someone had to pay. The aftermath of the operation was who or what would get the most blame.

The Germans were beaten and on the run and this was going to be the nail in the coffin however they fought for their homeland.

Many things went wrong for the Allies that should not have gone wrong however they did and that is war.

I think Arnhem was a good tactical operation in theory, yet in practice it failed. I have never been able to accept people saying that it was a "partial" success as they achieved 90% of their objectives.

For whatever reasons, Arnhem was a loss and a terrible disaster for the allies.

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Nicely done, Annie. This thread is a good follow-on from Kyt's recent Kershaw new release. Please let us know what you think of the book once you're finished.