Japanese Sources

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by nathanmg@rogers.com, Jan 13, 2008.

1. I am an historian in Ottawa, Ontario and the author of The Battle of the St. Lawrence: The Second World War in Canada (Harper/Collins, 2004) andBaptism of Fire: The Second Battle of Ypres and the Forging of Canada, April, 1915 (Harper/Collins 2007. I am presently working on a book about the Pacific War and am interested in finding Japanese sources --specificially memoires by Japanese fighting in Hong Kong and Burma.

Let me thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
    Nathan M. Greenfield

2. pdw

pdw Guest

Nathan

We emailed each other a few years ago about the training/quality of the troops produced by Australia and Canada in 1915. My book came out last year and I see you completed yours too. As you are now working on the Pacific WWII and looking for Japanese sources do you plan to visit Japan? You cant go past the National Institute for Defence Studies in Tokyo. If you have any questions about the sources there ask away though I will say first up their collection is superb. Also the National Diet Library ( Tokyo also) has a full collection of the magazine "Maru" which is devoted to personal accounts and articles about Japanese soldiers. It has thousands of WWII personal accounts.

Peter Williams

3. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Fascinating info, Peter, good to know, thank you.

What book did you write? The Battle of Anzac Ridge?

4. pdw

pdw Guest

Andy

Yes, the Battle of Anzac Ridge is mine. Right now I am doing one on the Kokoda campaign. I went to Japan to see what they had in their archives on it and found more than enough material for a new angle on the campaign.

Peter

5. Hello I was looking for someone living in Singapore.. I don't want anyone to go out of there way but I would love to get a pictures of a family member plate name in the singapore memorial George Douglas Miller b. April 13 1917 was a pte in the 1/5th BN, Sherwood Forester (Notts and Derby Regiment) #4750574 his records said he died Feb 8 1942 He is on Column 72...

I would be so grate full Thanks