Jewish Pilots and Aircrews in the Battle of Britain

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Nov 13, 2008.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Very interesting, Annie. I have not seen that before but noted a few familiar names. I have to admit to not paying much attention to a pilot's religion - the nationality usually being noted ahead of anything else.

About the only Jewish pilot who springs to mind is a Frederic Arnold (from memory not his real name either) who was a P-38 pilot over Italy. He wrote a book Doorknob Five-Two (his call-sign) about his experiences and I, while I haven't read it yet, I have noted he did not get on terribly well with his squadron mates. There's also some conjecture based on the official history of the unit that his claims etc in the book do not match. Either way, there's another one for you!

Am off to see what Louis Aarons got his VC for!

3. liverpool annie

Somebody was asking about him on Roots not so long ago !! ....

There's a statue of him in Leeds, and his medal is in the Leeds City Museum !!
    He is commemorated at Downham Market, which is the air base he flew from during WWII.

4. Antipodean Andy

Have done a google search for "Louis Aarons" but get nothing. Spelling?

5. liverpool annie

6. Antipodean Andy

Thanks Annie.

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

The one pilot who is often cited as Israeli:

Now, having followed the debates on a number of other forums, the question of his religion is still disagreed upon. However, he was not Israeli or Palestinian. Firstly because Israel did not exist then and so to retrospectively "acquire" someone who happened to be born in that area is nonsense. But more importantly, he was born of British parents, and the father was working there. Otherwise, all those who were born in India should be claimed by India too.

8. Antipodean Andy

Often thought the "Israeli" was a bit odd in 1940. Saw something else along those lines recently but can't remember what now.

9. liverpool annie

Biographies

10. liverpool annie

Israel's First Flying Hero

George Ernest Goodman
    Born Haifa 1920 - Died Libya 1941

George Ernest Goodman, the First Israeli flying Ace

11. Gage

Gage New Member

Thank you but not really sure of the point of a list like that. Indeed some famous names thou.

12. liverpool annie

Oh ! we were just talking about them .... !! :)

13. Gage

Gage New Member

Point enough then. ;)