Just a minute, don't forget me

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

A wonderful piece by Les Carlyon:

Just a minute, don&squo;t forget me | Herald Sun

2. John

John Active Member

Andy,
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful article by Les Carlyon.

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

May I just add, especially in light of the reference to Gallipoli, that the history books often forget the Indians who were involved - 4779 being killed or wounded in the Gallipoli campaign.

The Helles memorial marks the 1530 killed

Helles Memorial Gallipoli

4. Antipodean Andy

Kyt, indeed. Jodi and I were discussing this just the other day. She was walking in the CBD and a bugler stood in the middle of the intersection at 1100 and played the last post. All of the traffic stopped and so did the majority of the pedestrians for the minute silence. I would have been a wreck. Anyway, I say majority of the pedestrians as Jodi was disappointed that those who did not stop were, according to Jodi, of Asian descent. She was annoyed as she asked me, "Surely they know the Indians had a big contribution in both wars...they were at Gallipoli!" I said it was odd and must come down to education as they were in North Africa etc but surely the contribtuon to the Burma campaign must at least be mentioned?

This is not a criticism of race or anything like that (just in case anyone wants to skew it that way). It is one of frustration at lack of education, recognition and, perhaps, large amounts of ignorance by younger people (or by me in not realising that perhaps such sacrifices are not recognised on Nov 11 by everyone, so, a frustration at a lack of respect as well).

5. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I think one of the problems for Indians now is that they weren't taught it, either if they were educated in India or in the West. In India, the prominance is given to the likes of the Gandhi, or Bose and the INA - i.e. the freedom movement. So those who volunteered (and all Indian soldiers in both wars were volunteers) and fought for the "colonial" army have never really got the due recognition that they deserved.

In the west, though some schools, in the name of multiculturalism are now teaching about the Indian contribution, it isn't widespread. And most kids, white, black or brown, pay scant interest in these things. In fact, it tends to be those who were born and brought up in the west, like myself, who are more interested in the Indian contribution, in the larger scheme of things, once they get older and start reading more rounded histories.

6. Antipodean Andy

I would certainly agree that education, or lack there of, plays a large part in not being aware.