Katzner's Train

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by SSTk, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SSTk

SSTk Member

Has anyone read this fantastic book? Excellent read.

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Never heard of it, mate. Care to give a run down/review?

3. SSTk

SSTk Member

Sure thing Andy,

Written by Anna Porter it documents the story of Rezso Kasztner (forgive my spelling of his name in the thread title) who was the hero behind the direct survival of almost 1700 Hungarian Jews to Switzerland and was indirectly responsible for the survival of 100,000 more who did not get exterminated in Auschwitz in late 1944.

He negotiated directly with Adolf Eichmann during the direct Nazi Occupation of Hungary in 1943-44, stalling thier drive to impose the Final Solution to Hungary's Jews using the Nazi's anti-semetic policies against the unwitting rulers of Hungary in a giant stall tactic, playing the highest stakes game of bluff poker imaginable with his life at stake and the lives of tens of thousands of Hungarian Jews.

An amazing read, with an incredible incredulous ending of this hero. In the same vein as Schindler's List anyone with an interest of the Holocaust or Second World War should read this book!

I won't spoil the book for anyone, all I can say is it is one of the best books I read last year - and I read a lot of books.

Cheers
    Doug