Kokoda trekker finds possilbe remains of airman in forest canopy

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Antipodean Andy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Truly amazing.

Kokoda tourist 'finds WWII pilot's body' | NEWS.com.au

2. Antipodean Andy

Sorry, title for thread should read "...finds remains of possible airman..." not the "possible remains".

3. Antipodean Andy

Supposed WWII skeleton found dangling above Kokoda Track - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) - photo at this link.

4. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

The village of Kokoda is fairly small but it was there, 60 years ago during World War 2, that a bunch of 18 year-old Aussie soldiers stopped a Japanese invasion by digging in and fighting

I wonder why the villagers didn't find the pilot first .... if it was well known there was fighting in that area ?? plus supply planes were flying over at that time also ...

1942 — Pte Bruce Kingsbury, 2/14 Bn, awarded the VC posthumously for his actions at Isurava, New Guinea

Kingsbury VC. A hero of the Kokoda Trail

Bruce Kingsbury VC - Kokoda Historical- Kokoda Track/Trail Tours

I thought this site was interesting especially the History section ! but this is about finding the heel of a boot !

Battle Remnants - Boots - Kokoda Historical- Kokoda Track/Trail Tours

5. Antipodean Andy

It is quite mysterious, Annie, especially if the part of the track on which the find was made is part of the original track where fighting took place as opposed to a slight realignment over time - which was part of the argument for the (embarrassingly) Australian mining company that wanted to mine in the area i.e. it wouldn't be digging up the original track. However, do you reckon a bulldozer or logger would notice a tree-hanging, moss-covered skeleton while clearing land for the mine site? My wife and I work in mining and such a project could mean more work for us but we're both against it for obvious reasons! However, some sanity prevailed in the end.

http://ww2chat.com/forums/news-articles/1712-trekkers-not-welcome-kokoda-track-trail.html

6. Antipodean Andy

Bit of a repeat but ADF on to ti as the best placed experts to investigate.

ADF to inspect Kokoda remains | NEWS.com.au

7. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

I still find it hard to understand how come the ‘fuzzy wuzzy angels’ who seemed to know everything that was going on ... failed to check after the war to see what if they could find anything ! at that time the skeleton wouldn't have been covered in moss .... I hope they find out soon ...
    whoever it is ..... is a loved one of somebody !

The Battle for Australia - The Kokoda Track