Looking for Canadian veteran Ernie Davidson

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by gdnevels, Jul 5, 2008.

1. gdnevels

gdnevels Guest

Search for Canadian veteran Ernie Davidson

For some time I am trying to find a Canadian veteran who stayed at my grandparents' house during the liberation of my hometown Groningen. All I have is a photograph of this Canadian soldier, with on the back the name Ernie Davidson and the date september 29, 1946. On the front of the photograph is mister Davidson dressed in an uniform of the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals (RCCS). The photograph can be seen at the end of this message.

Unfortunately both my grandparents aren't alive anymore, but still I want to continue my search for mister Davidson to thank him (or his family if he is no longer alive) for what he has done to liberate my country so many years ago. My question is if there is anyone who can help me in my search for mister Davidson and/or his family?

This is all the information I have:
    • his name is Ernest “Ernie” Davidson
    • signalman of the Royal Canadian Corps Of Signals (RCCS)
    • his service number was B39119
    • active in the Canadian army from 10th august 1942 to 27th february 1946
    • took part in the liberation of Groningen in the north of the Netherlands
    • stayed at the house of Dedde & Geeske Wijma
    • earned the following medals: Italy Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, War Medal 1939-1945
    • only known next of kin: his mother Martha Alice Davidson, who was located at 74 Cosburn Avenue, Toronto, Ontario.

Please help me find mister Davidson!

Attached Files:

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

3. gdnevels

gdnevels Guest

Yes, I already posted my request on the MLU forum, but unfortunately without any succes. I also contacted Canadian newspapers, military websites, veterans-organisations and the Canadian archives.

Thanks for your reply, any help is welcome!

4. Ferhilt

Ferhilt New Member

You could try Ancestry.com, they have a 14-day trial, but they have lots of military records. It might give you some insight into his past at least.

5. gdnevels

gdnevels Guest

Thanks Ferhilt, I will give it a try!

6. sniper

sniper Active Member

You may like to try emailing John S. Brehaut at Veterans Affairs in Canada. He is my contact for my project which is helping them so if you tell him that you have been helping me and i'm sure he may well help you. To get hold of him via email please pm me and i'll give you his email address.

Sniper :peep: