lost,abandoned,ww2 aeroplanes

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by scarface, Aug 24, 2008.

1. scarface

scarface Guest

hi friends
    im trying to plan a day trip for me and my 16 yr old bro to go and have a look at a downed aircraft we could drive for about 3 hours either up or down the coast we live in maroochydore on the sunshine coast and are looking to walk for up to 2 hours on top of that.
    that is 4 hours walking and 6 hours driving total 8 hours travel is there any planes downed that you know of that are in tact or still something there to look at anyway or planes lost and not found in that vicinity and also do you think that there would be any point taking a metal detector with me to look for things that havn't been found any help would be great
    thanks

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

This would be the best starting point:

Military Aircraft Crashes in Australia during WW2

However, when visiting any possible crash sites please bear in mind that it maybe considered a monument to a serviceman's death, or a general war relic. Not only are there legal implications about disturbing such sites (other than just going to have a look) but more importantly moral ones.

So I wouldn't, for one, advise taking a metal detector. Also, there is always the possibility of uncovering live munitions which, after over 60 years in the ground, will be very hazardous.

I commend your interest in this area, but it can be dangerous - don't forget that most aircraft relics that haven't been recovered are still there for a reason - mainly because the locale is dangerous, either because of the geography or animals.

3. scarface

scarface Guest

thankyou

yes you are right about the metal detector it could be dangerous the sites you mentioned i have had a look at and i have looked into the beauty betty site which looks interesting are there any other site that have been newly discover or never investigated it seems that there is a lot of site around the townsville area but this is too far for

4. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

It might be worth asking some of your local museums to see if there's any readily accessible sites. Obviously, you may not find much at these sites but they are still historic places to visit.

The museums may also be able to tell about aircraft that are still missing. You might get the bug enough to do some research to narrow down locations.