Lt Col Stuart Barnes - Royal Field Artillery

Discussion in 'World War 1' started by Dan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

G'day all,

I'm researching my Great Grandfathers service with the RFC during WW1 and I hope someone here can help.

I've attached a photo of Stuart who is on the left with the observers wing. I have assumed that as he is wearing the wing he has already qualified.

From my very limited understanding of the RFC the serial number (E7550) is for a Sopwith Snipe, but I have no idea what the E15 stands for.

The pic isn't the best but would anyone like to have a stab at the location?

I've noticed a number of RFA officers joined the RFC. I figure this was to act as spotters and direct artillery.

If there is anything else you can tell from the photo it would be greatly appreciated.

This is a link to Stuart's page which gives more details on his service if your interested.

On a side note although I have a keen interest in military history I have never really read much about the RFC, could anyone suggest a good book?

Cheers

Dan

Stuart Plane.jpg

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum, its nice to have you on board. Your right about so many RFA officers joining the RFC and for the reason you gave as most i believe went up as observers in two man aircraft.

I should imagine the E15 is the planes identity number but i am not sure on that.

As for the location, hmm it could really be anywhere here in the UK or indeed Canada that is unlikely going by the year he trained as an observer. If you put RFC into a search engine and bring up Wikimedia it gives airfields used by the RFC mostly for training purposes. At the bottom of the same page you will see a list of books which you could try. I do recommend, Barker, Ralph (2002). The Royal Flying Corps in World War I. Robinson. ISBN 1-84119-470-0. That will give you a real good insight into the Corps and maybe able to narrow the number of places the photo was taken.

Have you by any chance got his service records? This would tell you where he did his training and should give you the identity of the where the photo was taken. I believe that he has just passed his observer badge in the photo so its probably a training airfield where the photo was taken. I also believe the guy to the right is probably the person who trained him or was at least his pilot for the training. You just have to look at his medal ribbons to see he is a veteran.

Hope that helps though its little to go on. The key is, you need his service records really.

Regards
    Sniper