mysterious arial image in germany..help

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by leskovec34, Feb 9, 2009.

1. leskovec34

leskovec34 Guest

hello every one. i have been a ww2 study since i was stationed ind stuttgart in th 80,s i was on google earth web site looking around the landscape of germany....by the way if you have not down loaded google earth you should its free and very cool,,,,anyway,,this is what i need everyones help with approx 4.65 miles wnw of fussen in southern germany there is a manmade formation of roads and maybe parking spots or aircraft hangar ruins..you can see it easy. the google earth coordinates are 47 degrees 35' 41"North X 10 degrees 36' 32"east.. if anyone can identify this ,and knows any history please share with us thanks

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Attached Files:

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

My first thought is, if it was part of an airfield, where is the runway? And if it is on a mound, this makes it less likely to be an airfield (which needs to be flat)

4. It looks like some type of raised structures were next to the concrete aprons. This tells me that they were either storage tanks or maybe some type of ore hopper. If you look near the concrete road net, there looks like some faint traces of old rail spurs. Also, from the lay of the land, it looks like the area may be lower than the surrounding area, with traces of a cofferdam around the outside perimeter. That might indicate a fuel or lubricants storage area.

I think this was some sort of POL terminus, and since it's very close to the Austrian border, it might date from the time before the Anschluss. It may have been a place where fuels were stored prior to importing them to Austria or Switzerland.

I don't think it was a hanger complex because there is no runway (or traces of) nearby, and there are no hanger floors evident. The area between the 4 vertical posts is too small even for a BF109.

Germany is full of ze craziest tings!

5. muscogeemike

muscogeemike Member

I would say this is an munitions storage area.

6. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

I don't think it is munitions, hangers etc. For one thing it is very distinctive and so would have been very visible for aerial recon during the war. It may be storgae or something but post-war.

BTW the straight lines at the bottom are not tracks or underlying remains of tracks. They are electricity lines, with pylons. And it does look like a mound rather than a depression

Attached Files:

7. David Layne

David Layne Active Member

I think it's a defunct rocket site for something like Bloodhound missiles.

: Built on the abandoned remains of a runway of the WWII bomber command base Woolfox Lodge.

In 1960 a Bloodhound missile site under No. 62 Squadron was positioned in a secure area adjacent to the A1 road near the former technical site. These missiles were removed in 1964 and the RAF withdrew completely the following year.

The Bristol Bloodhound, a British surface-to-air missile, was developed during the 1950s as the UK's main air defence weapon and was in large-scale service with the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the forces of four other countries from 1958.

The Bloodhound served the RAF throughout almost the entire Cold War. The Bloodhound Mk I entered service in December 1958, the last Mk II missile squadron stood down in July 1991.