Name those ships

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by Kyt, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Whilst looking for something on google maps I happened to find a load of warships docked at Portsmouth (nothing strange there). But knowing nothing about warships, an certainly not anything on modern ships, I wonder if people would like to guess what these are. BTW I haven't a clue so don't expect me to be able to correct or check your answers.

Attached Files:

2. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

A couple more.

Attached Files:

3. Adrian Roberts

Adrian Roberts Active Member

Some informed guesses, at best:

Photo 7 is easy, an Invincible class aircraft carrier with the “ski-jump” for the Harriers. Only Ark Royal is in commission now, but this could be a Reserve one - Invincible or Illustrious

Photo 6 - appears to have a helicopter deck but no gun or missile armament forward, but central superstructure with a funnel aft. I would guess a Castle Class patrol vessel

Photo 5 - Royal Fleet Auxiliary tankers. One is clearly very large, with funnel aft - I would guess RFA Oakleaf or one of the slightly smaller Orangeleaf class. The smaller one, possibly a Rover or Fort class.

Photo 4 - I’m not sure at all; helicopter deck but no obvious armament, but doesn’t look the same as 6. Possibly foreign of course, but its in drydock - do we offer this facility to foreign vessels?

Photo 3: The larger vessel is fairly clearly a Type 23 Duke Class frigate - note the Seawolf vertical launch silos aft of the gun. The smaller vessel, and the one in Photo 2, is probably a Sandown class minesweeper: “Mine Countermeasures Vessel” as they call them now. No helideck, lots of gear on the stern. The very small launch in 3 could be an Archer class patrol vessel, mainly used for cadet training these days.

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

HMS Pugh I; HMS Pugh II; HMS Barney; HMS McGrew; HMS Cuthbert; HMS Dibble; HMS Grub :D

Well no chance whatsoever against Adrian