Navajo Code Talkers

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by liverpool annie, Aug 14, 2008.

1. liverpool annie

liverpool annie New Member

This is a fascinating topic too ! ..... I've been doing a lot of research lately with the Native Americans ..... these soldiers were very much left out in the cold when they came home .... took waaaay too much time for them to be recognised !!

LAPAHIE.com 3.6  \  The Navajo Code Talkers

2. Antipodean Andy

Antipodean Andy New Member

Would be interested in your insight given your research Annie even if you just made me think of Nicholas Cage!

3. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Hollywood always mangles the most interesting subjects. That is a great site Annie. Will have to have a proper look later.

A Navajo lexicon

Navajo Code Talkers' Dictionary

Andy would be a CHA-YES-DESI

4. liverpool annie

That movie was rubbish !! ....... not at all about the genuine article !!

Someday when you have a few hours to spare ... I could talk your ear off !! :becky::becky::becky:

5. Antipodean Andy

Don't have any ears left...not because I'm eccentrically artistic but because I love a chat too!

6. Antipodean Andy

Kyt so that means you're a TOH-TA.

But i reckon you're a TOH-TA with a WOZ-CHEIND :lol:

Although you could be a AH-LE-GAI with a WOZ-CHEIND

Interesting to note the Navajo word for mosquito is TSE-E. Kinda like Tsetse...

7. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Oh ha **** ha :)

Not a code talker but an amazing American Indian:

Samuel N. Blatchford, Master Sergeant, United States Air Force

Blatchford earned 28 medals, including the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with one oak leaf cluster, four Purple Hearts, six Air Medals and the Prisoner of War Medal. The French government presented him with its Freedom Medal for his work with the French Resistance, a Citizenship Medal bestowing honorary citizenship, as well as the key to the city of Lisio.

8. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

9. Antipodean Andy

What a survivor. Not only two ditchings in the North Sea but then everything else on top of that and three wars. Wow.

10. liverpool annie

It's interesting to note that they were supposed to become American citizens before they were going to be allowed to fight !! :poster_oops:

And with some .... it was the Indian Nations themselves who were the ones who declared war !

11. liverpool annie

It's interesting to note that they were supposed to become American citizens before they were going to be allowed to fight !! :poster_oops:

And with some .... it was the Indian Nations themselves who were the ones who declared war !

Native Americans in World War II

12. liverpool annie

Of course the Navajos weren't the only code talkers !

During World War I, Choctaw Soldiers were organized into Company E of the 142nd Infantry Division, part of the Texas National Guard's 36th Infantry Division. While on the Western Front in France, an officer overheard two Choctaw Soldiers talking to each other in their own language. Since American units had suffered losses because the Germans were able to listen to their radio conversations, the thought struck him that none of the Germans would understand the Choctaws' language.

Eight Choctaws were quickly trained to become radio communicators, then six more. They developed a code that used Choctaw words for certain military terms and were assigned to different headquarters. During the German's major 1918 offensive in the Meuse-Argonne region, their communications resulted in a successful counterattack against the Germans, whose offensive - their last - ultimately failed.

13. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Cheers Annie. I was wondering whether other Nations were used too.

14. liverpool annie

Yes K quite a few ..... ! :) the Smithsonian Institution found that more than 17 tribes in all made immeasurable Code Talker contributions to the war effort - including the Choctaw, Comanche, Cheyenne, Cherokee, Osage, Yankton Sioux, Chippewa, Creek, Hopi, Kiowa, Menominee, Muscogee-Seminole, Navajo, Oneida, Pawnee, Sac and Fox and the Sioux from both the Lakota and Dakota dialects ..... like I said .... fascinating subject !! :)

Annie

15. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

Which means that, though the Navajo rightly deserve the praise they get, the other nations do not get the credit and recognition they should :(

16. Kyt

Kyt Άρης

17. liverpool annie

18. Antipodean Andy

Why, Annie?

19. John

John Active Member

Another interesting thread Annie, and your knowledge of the subject is great.

John

20. liverpool annie

Why Andy ??

Well it's a long involved story !! ..... but here goes ....

A friend in Manchester found a gravestone that belonged to a man who fought in the Charge of the Light Brigade ( When he was checking some WW1 graves for my Honour Roll )

I decided to see how many others I could find in Lancashire .... well like Topsy ... "it just growed !!"

Then I found all these Chargers who went to America after the Crimean war and so I started trying to find them

Then I found a photo of the survivors with Buffalo Bill

Then I found out Buffalo Bill was in England with his Wild West Show

Then as I live about 20 mins away from the Buffalo Bill Museum .... I started finding out about the Indians in the Wild West Show

Then I got all wrapped up in the Indian Tribes and other people started asking me questions

Then I went to Wyoming to find the birth place of one Lakota Indian in particular ( who has been dead over 80 years ... but still a fascinating man !! )

...... remember when I told you about tangents ?? :juggle: