Nominal Rolls

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by ColinS, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ColinS

ColinS New Member

I am trying to find out about 3 brothers who served in WW2. I have found them in the Nominal Rolls but am having trouble understanding some terms. Can someone help please?
    1) Percy Roy Denman, Posting on discharge given as 101 CON. I have no idea what this term means.
    2) Ronald James Denman, Posting on discharge given as 2/13 Australian Company AA Regimental Workshops. Can anyone tell me what regiment etc this is please.
    3) Emmanuel William Victor Denman, Posting on discharge given as 5 Division Provost Company, however, in his 2 page record it shows him as enlisting in No 1 Garr Coy (presumably Garrison Company) RAMC Royal Army Medical Corps.
    Any help would be most appreciated. I am new to the Australian military records.

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I am afraid you will need to wait for the Oz members to come online for this. The only thing i can think of for AA is Anti Aircraft but i can't see that being the case in this instance. You are correct in Garrison Company so Emmanuel obviously decided to stay in the forces after the War and joined the mediclal corps, probably as a pen pusher for them. CON is a new one on me though. spidge?

3. spidge

spidge Active Member

101 CON version unit?

AA Regimental Workshops of the 2/13th Battalion?

4. ColinS

ColinS New Member

Hi Spidge,
    Many thanks for that, but I am still in the dark.
    To which Corps or regiment was 101 Conversion Unit attached?
    Regarding AA, was that an anti-Aircraft section of 2/13. I thought that all AA units would have been attached to the Artillery Regiment?
    Colin

5. Cobber

Cobber New Member

Quote{Ronald James Denman, Posting on discharge given as 2/13 Australian Company AA Regimental Workshops. Can anyone tell me what regiment etc this is please.}End Quote

Maybe the 2/13th Coy is not a Infantry unit but either a AA or imo more probably a workshop unit at the AA Regimental Workshops.

Possibly
    The Regimental Workshops of the 2/13th AA Coy

Or
    2/13th Company of the then AEME (now RAEME) who would of been a part of the AA Regimental Work Shops in this case manned by the gun plumbers etc of the 2/13th Company of the Anti Aircraft work Shops Regiment

6. spidge

spidge Active Member

Hi Colin,

The question marks were because I was not sure. The "CON" comes up quite alot in my RAAF research for "posting on discharge" however I do not know what area 101 belongs too!

As Cobber states, if he was with a regimental workshops unit it was not infantry. The 2/13th (9th Division) is the only mention of 2/13th I can find on the AWM site. Many different types go up to 12 but nothing else for a 2/13th.

Cheers

Geoff

7. Cobber

Cobber New Member

From my experience the AWM does not cover that much of the overall support units of the 2nd AIF, their must of been quite a lot of support and work shop type units, most especially after the Australian war experience turned to the Sth West Pacific and they no longer could use the British support units as they had in the Mid East & Western Desert campaigns
    If anyone knows of any address's of any sites that deals with such units?