One Woman's War

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by MikeTheMachine, Sep 20, 2011.

1. MikeTheMachine

MikeTheMachine New Member

I recently read this book by Eileen Younghusband and found it to be very interesting. It is a memoir of her time in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force during WWII, and the importance they played during the Battle of Britain.

I found it very well written, a fact even more impressive when I discovered the Eileen has just turned 90 years old! The style the in which the book is written genuinely makes you feel as if Eileen is sitting in the room with you, telling you these stories from her fantastic life.

I particularly enjoyed the segments in which Eileen describes the work that she undertook in Belgium hunting down the launchers of Hitler's deadly V2 rockets. It is amazing to read about the processes used to defend our country in the days before computers, when we had to rely on pure human calculation. Whilst the book is incredibly informative and helped me to learn about the work of the Filter Room, an aspect of the War effort that I was not familiar with, and certainly didn't appreciate the importance of, it also managed to remain a very involving story of the woman's life, loves, and losses.

Thoroughly readable, I cannot recommend enough

2. sniper

sniper Active Member

Hi Mike,

Its great to read something other than what the pilots and airmen did.

Sniper

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I'll have to keep an eye open for that one. To other good books about women in the war is 'They Also Serve' which is fascinating following a girl who was a secretary with SOE who was sent in to Porsmouth docks to track down how spies were getting in to the country [just wish the lady had given lots more detail!] and 'Spreading My Wings' about Diana Barnato Walker who began her flying career with the ATA and went on to do amazing things from there.